close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wading Scioto

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jt11, Jul 15, 2004.

1. jt11

jt11

I have not had much look wading in the Scioto. I have tried I-270 bridge and 161 bridge, but so far only small panfish. Any suggestions for where to wade and lures to use? Thanks.

2. lEATHERLIPS PARK IS GOOD.

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

You are in the right areas, just gotta go early/late and throw them smaller baits. Small jigs and spinners work well. Topwaters early/late also produce.

4. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

One of my personal favorites of scioto is below griggs,(duh) 5th ave bridge area, Downtown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(need a boat mostly). Best wading besides the big Darby is Highbanks metro park(olentangy), Woodside green park in Gahanna(big walnut), Personally I stay clear of alum creek(the creek itself) not much in the way of bass compared to other creeks. Blacklick creek is awesome if you like smaller fish but more natural surroundings and fast clear water(Rocky fork in gahanna is even better but you need to know the area).
    Hope this helps,
    Mike

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I used to fish the Leatherlips park just north of 161 religiously. Some nice smallies hold in those holes. I would cast small slugos (no weight) on 6lb line and let the current do the rest.

6. I have fished there for years now and you need to head north of there halfway to the zoo there will be a dirt parking area on the left side of riverside drive.You only need one bait. TUBES!!!!!

7. Kayakfisher

Kayakfisher Regular Guy

Wait til riverwalker reads this post.. he'll give ya all the info you could ever need on that stretch of the scioto

8. saugeyeslayer

saugeyeslayer The tug is the drug

you know fish at home....just today i was at alum creek...the creek...and i caught 4 saugeyes a channel cat and 5 12 inch smallies...cmon it comes outta the resivoir just cause it runs throught columbus doesnt mean its bad fishing...scioto runs through columbus you can still catch fish...i would reccomned fishing behind and under / around the i-70 bridge behgind the apartments on college ave and on down to 104....lota fish plenty more species aka saugeye walleye white bass and others than in darby(unless your where its feeding in the scioto...aluim has alota potential and i love that creek w/ my heart the fish are eager to bite and they seldom get a lure in their strike zone...

9. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Good for you, as I said , personally I prefer not to fish it.
    Mike

10. JT,
    I have fished may streches of almost all of the rivers in the central Ohio area. The key to finding lots of fish, or big fish is to learn the section you are at. You have seen from the other replies that holes are popular. I have fished a hole 3-4 times with no luck, and after a few casts...moved on. The next time I fished the same hole, I would approach it from a different angle, and WHAM...find three or four big fish in there. Sometimes it's how you approach it.
    If you find a stretch of river that "you just know there are fish in there", it may take a few attempts to get it right. Stick with it and don't be afraid to try something that you wouldn't normally do.
    As a side note, one stretch of river I fish changes every year. The high water periods move a favorite rock or gravel bar, or uncovers some other structure that had not been there before, so I am back on the learning curve for a while until I figure it out again.
    Sometimes you just have to put in your time.

11. "The high water periods move a favorite rock or gravel bar, or uncovers some other structure that had not been there before"
    This is not unusual in parts of the Scioto. The worst thing that ever happened was the reconsruction of the 270 bridge and the addition of the other bridge. Wiped out some nice structure.