Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have trouble wading these days due to both age and health. But will
try one more time. I'm buying the wader/shoe combo Orvis is offering but don't know if felt or studded soles would be better in these area waters. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Lou

·
Fly guy
1,239 Posts
Studded streamtread guide boots :) don't get the clearwater boots if you're looking for ankle support; they don't have it. They're light but will not support you at all lol. Felt is dangerous these days and getting a bad rap; if you are going to wade often, you should go with rubber.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you can find rubber boots with studs i'd agree with the above post, but if you can't i'd get felt with studs or add sheet metal screws to felt if they didn't all ready have them. I'm 63 years old and always kept slipping on Erie Pa. steelhead tribs till i went to felt with screws.

I've probably jinxed myself for this winter steelhead season since i said i hadn't fallen recently.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd never wear felt in winter due to snow-packing issues. My simms boots are awesome with the rubber tread and no studs.[/QUOTE

Your 100% right about felt in freezing temps. I stay in the water as much as possible and in the 6 years i've had felt i have never thought they still were not worth it. Probably if i had rubber with studs i would change my mind.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
in our warmwater streams studded rubber is the way to go, I like felts on shale, in fact I wont wear rubber on shale, studs will help a bit there as well. My general rule is, rubber works in warm water, I prefer felts in trout streams, and I personally dont like studed boots. this time of year I usually wear crocs or sandels anyway.
if your having trouble wading I would suggest a wading staff as well, and the biggest thing is take your time, and never fish when trying to move(thats when I always fall)
as for boots, I like some of the simms boots, the tend to have more ankle support and better toe protection.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
LMAO Clayton there is a quite a few streams where I know you be dancing like some hillbillys is shooting at ya!! I take my Simms felt with the Carbide hard bites studs on them. I have yet to fall on my ass like I did with rubber soled boots. Shale is absolutly slick and have to be really careful no matter what. You can alsways get a spey rod and stay near the bank.;)

·
Fly guy
1,239 Posts
I dunno about that, Didymo is the slickest stuff I've ever even seen and the new boots grip like hell on that :-D

And if it doesn't work, the hardbite studs do a great job in my RUBBER boots as well :)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
letting your shoes and waders dry out thouroughly will kill it.
from wiki:
The following methods have been recommended to prevent the spread of didymo:

Check: Before leaving the river, remove all obvious clumps of algae and look for hidden clumps. Leave them at the site. If you find clumps later don't wash them down the drain, treat them with the approved methods below, dry them and put them in a rubbish bin.

Clean: Soak and scrub all items for at least one minute in either hot (60°C) water, a 2% solution of household bleach or a 5% solution of salt, antiseptic hand cleaner or dishwashing detergent.

Dry: If cleaning is not practical (e.g. livestock, pets), after the item is completely dry wait an additional 48 hours before contact or use in any other waterway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts