Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows if there are dangers associated with wading downstream of a Wastewater Treatment Facility? Generally, I fish alone so I would rather not wear my waders for safety reasons, just shorts and old shoes. There are no posted warnings, do you all think it is safe?

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,041 Posts
I can't speak for the treatment facility you are refering to. We have a W.W.T. At our plant and the water is tested monthly by the EPA and by the city, we also get suprise sampling by the city. We also do in house sampling and Our discharge water must meet strict EPA and health dept. guidelines for solids, heavy metals, oil, grease, to name just a few. In other words, the water we discharge is cleaner than the water we get from the city. I'd say just off the top of my head you are safe.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I think you are asking the wrong people. Tyr contacting the EPA to get their advise regarding the specific water you want to wade.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts

·
Fishing Fool
283 Posts
Check out the Ohio EPA website. You should be able to find information on the specific facility and how often their discharge is out of compliance in regards to specific pollutants. Some are never out of compliance, some are out of compliance every month....

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
A manager at the Elyria WWT plant is a close friend of mine. I also work in the environmental field, so I deal with wastwater samples so I'm pretty familiar with the regulations. The water coming out of the WWT facility is indeed, cleaner than the river water.

Have no fear.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
It all depends on the facility. Many are still in the process of being upgraded. Most larger streams in Ohio have multiple WWTP facilities on them, so chances are you are always downstream of one.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Maybe wading/swimming in one of the most polluted creeks in the state is why I am so goofy??? I spent a fair portion of my youth playing in Ten Mile Creek here in NW Ohio. I never got sick, a rash, nothing. I think some of these advisories are overblown.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The larger concern is Combined sewer overflows, or an older plant that can't handle the increased flow during/after a heavy rain event. As the others have said, by and large, the vast majority of WWTPs fischarge water that is cleaner than what is already in the stream. (~Environmental scientist that used to worked at a WWTP lab).

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks JamesT for the video and the EPA's phone number. I will make a phone call before I go but I feel confident that I am safe based on everyone's input.

Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Everyone is focused on the quality of the water discharge from the treatment plant. What about the water in the river in general????? Don't discount runoff , etc.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Everyone is focused on the quality of the water discharge from the treatment plant. What about the water in the river in general????? Don't discount runoff , etc.
That's the subject of the thread though. I agree and would say runoff is an even more detrimental piece of the polluted river puzzle.

·
shakesbeard
455 Posts
theres a water treatment discharge on the black river and ive fished there for years now, and used my mouth to wet the line to tie knots, and ive never had any ill effects.

i even fell in a couple times. still nothing. i would guess that you are pretty safe for the majority of places, however if there are storm drain overflows then thats a different story.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts