close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Waders

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by heyjay, Mar 24, 2005.

1. heyjay

heyjay Where's the fish ?

I was wondering what type of waders to buy. Neoprene or rubber? With boots attached or seperate? What about the felt bottomed boots? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. I'm far from an expert on waders, but I think you'll need to decide what type of fishing you'll be doing first, such as when, what type of bottom, etc. I'm assuming you mean for fishing. For hunting, neoprene are not an option, to me.

3. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Not enough information, but. For cold water fishing I like 5mm neoprene stocking foot waders. Then I can get two different types of boots, lug sole and felt sole, for different bottom situations. I think I'm in the minority for liking stocking foot.

4. I sure wish I could wear stocking feet...
    Due to back surgery its tuff for me to get the boots on/off...
    I can tell you that the Rodmakershop has some real good deals now if you can shoot on over there...
    20884 Royalton Rd. (st rt 82)
    Strongsville, oh 44149
    440-572-0400

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I have the 5 mm neoprene with the boots attached. I wished I would have gotten the stocking foot and the separate boots. Even with 2-3 pairs of socks the boots are way too big and a bit clumsy. Not very comfortable when wading for several hours either.

6. heyjay ive had both and i think the ones w/ seperate boots are colder due to less room for air circulation. the over boot stocking foot wader fit alot tighter and for me were alot colder. ive used the gander mt 5mm and always buy one size larger than i where, the chemical foot warmers are great this time of year. wallydvr

7. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have a set of cabelas breathable warrior waders. they have 1,000 gram thinsulate and are very warm. iuse them mostly for duck hunting .forget about cheap waders, buy a good pair .cabelas or lacrosse . cabelas you can return their waders a year or 2 later if they fail for any reason, no ? asked.

8. I have a cheap set of nylon over rubber (lug sole boot foot). I used to use them quite frequently for relativly short wading trips and they worked just fine. I got these after working for a summer wearing heavier (better quality) canvas over rubber (lug sole boot foot) without any issues. I worked long hard hours in those buggers (off trail-hiking, wading remote areas, lugging equipment up & down stream,....) and never had a leak or tear. I have fished for steelhead a coupple times in cold water as have been ok for a few hours just wearing wool socks, long johns, and sweat pants, but would consider heavier weight neoprene if I were to do it regularly.

9. heyjay

heyjay Where's the fish ?

Thanks to all for the information. I'm new to the site and am finding it to be very beneificial. I'm glad to see I am not the only one praying for the Sun God. Let it be warm .

10. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Another reason I like stocking foot waders, I can drive with them on. Not sure I would do that with the bulkier boot foot.

11. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

I have two pairs of the neoprene, one pair stocking foot with felt soled boots, great for slippery rocks. The other with boots attached regular soled. I like them both and the best part is, if you get a hole in them, you can fix it with a rubber worm and a lighter.