close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Waders

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mushijobah, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

What kind of footwear do you wear with bootless waders to keep the rocks and stuff out?

2. Many quality waders come with gravel guards already attached to the lower portion of the leg, just above the ankle. These are folded over the top of the wading boot to prevent entry of debris. For waders that do not have the guards attached, you can purchase these separately. You should look for these in tackle shops that carry gear for the flyfisherman. Two types are available. Zippered guards and velcro closure type. Get the zippered as the velcro ones have a tendency to eventually separate and float away. :(

3. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

what is a wader boot

4. if you go to cabelas.com or basspro.com you can find a good pair of boots for under $50. I just bought 2 pairs for my stocking foo twaders. I have 2 pair. neoprene for winter and colder water, and a lightweight pair for summer. Just remember if you wade in the summer with a neoprene pair you will sweat your butt off. Make sure you check out each site for clearance specials b/c you can find good deals. I bought a $70 pair for under $50, and they say it's their toughest pair made.
    Good luck and safe wading
    Bryan :D

5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

If you are willing to spend $150 on boots alone then Korkers are the way to go. It may seem outrageous...$150 on boots!? These boots are made for die hard trout anglers, who wade miles of rough terrain out west. If your wading within walking distance of your car cabela's boots will be fine. However if you hike for miles (as I do) Korkers are a must, Cabela's boots will last for about 30-40 hikes...then there shot.

6. Acklac7, I never heard of korker boots b-4. Where can I find some around central columbus? Since you said trout fishermen, would mad river outfitters carry them. If mine only last 30-40 times then I will have to get a new pair by mid summer. If there is a site or place where I can get a pair of korkers, please let me know.

7. A great place to find waders, wading shoes etc. is Ebay. As long as you know your size you can score some really good deals on brand new waders. I bought a sweet pair of boot-foot neos off of there for under $50. Give it a look you never know what ya will find. Also if you wade in the summer w/o waders I suggest getting a pair of Flats boots. They sell them in Bass Pro and Cabelas I believe. I think i bought mine for $20-30 and they are neoprene boots with a hard sole that zip up the side and then velcro around the top. They are really good for summer time wading when your goin out in shorts and not waders.

Jake

8. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Bryan, I've seen them for sale on the Cabela's website, however they were out of stock, so I ordered direct from the factory. I got a pair of the Outfitter's, and they are amazing. You can switch the soles for different terrain! Say your hiking in muck, you can change the sole to a hiking sole. Then when you get to your hole you can get out the felt soles and put them on...really cleaver design. However I spoke to soon on the integrity part. I have used mine about 30 times this year (20 of those where ROUGH times I might add) and the fabric is beginning to tear on one of the boots. They come with a one year warranty, and the factory sent me an card to extend the warranty to two years for free. I could be wrong but I believe there is only like a month warranty (if that) on cabelas boots...here is the site...http://www.korkers.com/product page/7500wkg.html

9. Acklac I appreciate it!!! :D I just bookmarked korkers and madriver outfitters. I just bought the cabelas boots so I will have to wait to see how long they last. I was bidding on ebay for wading boots for over a month, but I kept getting outbid. That's just how it goes sometimes. I should of just went over to madriver outfitters and bought a quality pair from them. This is my first pair of stocking foot waders, so I just went the cheap way this time. This will not be my last pair. I really like the simms brand waders as well, a little costly but hopefully worth it in the long run. Thanks again to everybody for some good info.