close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wader help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by dnm, May 23, 2005.

1. dnm

dnm

Hi all!

Im looking to get a set of waders and I have a problem...Im only 5' 7" Most of the waders at the stores come up to my chin or above! Can I trim them down to fit me?

thanks
    dnm

2. I am the 5-7 too and 9 boot going 180-185 and have no prob with mine...

3. dnm

dnm

What brand do you have and where did ya get em?

4. WishinIwasFishin

WishinIwasFishin Prefer Catchin to Fishin

I'm 5'8" and haven't had problems with them being too long. I am on my third pair. I'll check out the brand if I remember when I get home and I will pass it on to you. I bought them at Dick's Sporting Goods. I really like them. I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.

5. I bought Stearns at the rodmakershop in strongsville

6. dnm

dnm

Hmm....A little out of my league...but thanks though :)

Dnm

7. I paid $89.00 thats really a good price for them...

8. You 5'7" guys are so short!!!:D;)
    After all I tower over you guys...by almost 2".:p

I also have never had problems with a set of waders fitting me in length. Perhaps the ones that you tried were extra tall sizes? Atrkyhntr's suggestion on the waders for the price seems pretty good. You can find cheaper ones but you have to be careful because you often get what you paid for.;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  9. dnm

dnm

That what it seems like...Hmm...I guess ill go try some one

10. if your not wading to deep try some hip waders.....just a thought.

11. dnm

dnm

I thought about that midnight but then that limits how far I can go with my junk not-waterproof!

rofl
    Dnm

12. I would suggest not going with hip waders for a couple of reasons. For one you will inevitably splash water down in the waders and be soaked. And the second reason is that we vertically challenged folks do not have hips very far off the ground.:eek: :p The few extra inches make a huge difference on where you can get to.

If you are concerned about the cost you can do what I do this time of the year. It is getting warm enough now that you can just lace on a pair of old sneakers and tough it out in shorts. From this time on until fall I never wear waders. They are too much hassle putting on and taking off. And come the middle of the summer the sater feels great to be in. You could hold off on buying them until late summer or fall.

13. Dicks had the rubber ones on sale for $19.99... buy several and toss em out after your done LOL

14. dnm

dnm

Ok, but if I get the rubber chest highs, can i trim them down without ruining them?

15. I suppose that if you end up needing to cut them then the rubber should not tear apart on the edge. I would just be careful not to cut much around the suspender area because that is what will get most of the stress. However, I have never trimmed them myself so hopefully someone else here can attest to the effectiveness of doing so.

16. WishinIwasFishin

DNM - sorry, but I forgot to look at the brand I have. :eek: I see no use for him waders personally. I wade in shorts and shoes when it warms up, but wearing chest waders has its advantages. I don't get as much poison ivy and bug bites when finding my way to and from the creek. My waders are so lightweight that they aren't too bad on hot days, although water feels better. I'll try to remember again tonight and email you from home. I'm really pleased with what I have. Like I said, these are my third different pair (all have been different) and I really like them better.

17. WishinIwasFishin

The waders I have are Hodgman "StreamLite" waders. They are very light and breathable with a sock bottom. I bought some Proline canvas boots with felt bottoms to go with them. Like I said before, I love them both. I got these on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods about 1 1/2 years ago. Paid about $110 for boots and waders on sale. No problems. I got them a little big (not long) so I can wear some sweatpants under them when it is colder out. Very comfortable.

I looked at dickssportinggoods.com and found similar ones, but the prices were much higher. I don't know if I just happened to get a good deal. If you look around I'm sure you can find breathables in the $80-90 range. Good luck!

18. I wish I could wear the stocking boot waders... After back surgery its just too hard to put the boots on for me... That would be the way to go...

19. Just bought a pair of waders, chest high "guide series" 3.5 mm neoprene, boot attached, from Gander. I'm 5'8" with 9-9 1/2 shoe. Ended up getting size 10 waders. Fit is great, and any looseness in boot goes away as soon as I get into the water. Paid 89.99, and if you want they will let ya try them on in the store. Also has front pocket and handwarmer pocket in front, and suspenders are adjustable with quick release. Last I saw they just restocked so many sizes available. Hope this helps........