close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Waded the Sci this evening did ok.

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bubba bass bigfoot, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Went to the Sci today (5:30-8) The water was really low (duh lol) I got 15 Smallies Ang being 4-5inches lol 2 were 6-7inches and i did get a 2incher YEAH. Micro got 2 and my dad got skunked. My dad and micro did not change baits till late in the trip and by the the bite seemed to be slowing, also the water changed, not as much current and deeper. I did not bother changing to a lure i though would work. Did see some ok smallies hitting the surface but not my dads pop'r lol.

Saw some people keeping 4-5inch smallies :mad: you guys have no clue how bad i wanted to tip their bucket. Just a bunch of little guys, saw someone else take what looked to be about a 8-9incher. Its a shame. I dont know the reason of keeping them and they could have had a very good one (need to keep and eat them b/c you have nothing else) Who knows. Odd part was it was 2 older women and a young boy (about 6-7). Kinda made me think thats what they were doing.

An ok day on the water got the numbers just no size.c Wish my dad would have got something, fishing has been tough on him this year, just not doing as well as past years.

2. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Bubba, it is illegal to keep smallmouth bass under 12 inches in length from the Scioto. Report them next time.

3. Bubba bass bigfoot

I knew it was illegal, wanted to but left it be. Dont want to offend anyone not trying, they were Asian, not sure if they knew or not. They were not even speaking english. I was thinking it was 15inch, thats what it is at the Darby right? Thanks i would hate to report some guy that had a 12inch smallie lol, thanks.

4. Man I was at hoover tonight an they were all over me about butting the fish back. I had some small Blue gill an some good sized ones. The biggest was 8" . I thought about keeping it but but back just to mess with them.

5. Bubba bass bigfoot

your post is hard to read. People messed with you for keeping fish that were small to 8inches. And you threw it back to mess with them. Im not making fun of you for the post being hard to read just trying to get the story right.
    Thanks.

6. topwaterdevil

topwaterdevil SMB and Saugeyes.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/fishing/fishregs/

On Oshay (and Hoover) Bass must be 12" to be keepers, but I don't see anything for Griggs or the Scioto river itself. I sure wish there was a 15" or 18" limit in place (and enforced), but I don't see it on the books. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It wouldn't hurt for someone from the ODNR to atleast go down there and do a license check sometime. I bet half of the people down there would get busted.

7. Bubba bass bigfoot

allot of people would get busted. It would be nice for the ODNR to check at the Bends (Prarie oaks). I wish the limits were inforced also. I know it has to be hard to do but, just to bust some people would make (i'd hope) others think twice and maybe not break the limit laws.

8. Bubba bass bigfoot

By law they were not doing anything wrong but by principle they were doing wrong. You know not to take fish that young out of the water ways. Those are what is going to make the river survive as far as SM bass. It's like an unwritten law i guess (seeing how there is no law for that area). Its a shame. Granted there were TONS of Sm 2-4inches in size running in school of what looked like 6-10. I mean ALLOT of small fish, we could have stayed in the shallows and got 30 plus each lol. But wanted to get some bigger fish.

You still don't take those fish.

9. Taking dink bass is just ridiculous. There are quite a few people out here who have no qualms about jacking up the fish population because they don't understand, don't know or don't care. I get sick when I see some of these fishermen filling up buckets with juvenile fish where there are no size limits. If I ever think they exceed a bass limit, I have the rangers on speed dial on my phone. They have to be held accountable sooner or later by someone or they will keep right on hurting fish populations.

10. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

1800-Poacher next time bubba.
    Or call the wildlife office, I called them and they had people on the scene in 10 minutes.

11. Sad but true. I really don't understand why there is not a minimum size restriction on all Ohio waters. I mean something as simple as a 10" limit doesn't seem too much to ask for. I have never heard any explanation as to why there is not a restriction. But then again I have never pursued it with the ODNR officials which is where it should be addressed.:rolleyes:

12. Now Bubba did not mention how many of these small fish they were keeping. That number could get them in trouble.;)

13. Bubba bass bigfoot

They were keeping everyone they caught. Not sure how many but my guess is allot. When wading past we saw them catch about 10-12 fish (we stopped b/c i got a tangle in my line, set an watched)

14. A lot could have been done by just stopping and letting them know you noticed they were catching and keeping a lot of fish. Make a little small talk with them. Then mention to them that the limit in Ohio is 5 or what ever. If they put some back (assuming the fish were still alive and well) then just go along your way. If they don't then move along and give the poacher line a ring. They may not know the laws but if they are "legal" as in have a license then they should know what laws are.

15. Earlier this year I saw 3 foreign guys (younger, around 17-20 years old) throwing a hand net below griggs and keeping absolutely everything that was caught in the net, which included some small smallmouths. They had a stringer with probably close to 30 small fish on it they just dragged around as if they were trying to show it off.

Unfortunately I didn't have my phone so it didn't get wet while I was wading

:(

there are no size restrictions for this area?

16. Bubba bass bigfoot

If we would have stopped they would have not done as we asked. They were not speaking a word of English. when we waded by im sure they could hear us talking about how wrong it was. We did not think of calling the ODNR.

17. No minim,ums...how stupid is that??

18. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I've seen guys doing the exact samething below Griggs, although the time I saw them they weren't catching a thing. What makes matters even worse is the fact that there cast nets often snag up, and they just leave them out there instead of swimming out to retrieve them...Talk about a nightmare..I remember a few years back someone managed to bring one in from below O'shay, as I recall it had a few dozen cranks/jigs hanging off of it.

And don't rule out the "gang" approach...IE gathering a few other fisherman and confronting the offender(s), not to harm them or anything, but rather send them message that it's NOT ok. A buddy of mine told me a great story about a cast-netter below Greenlawn who netted a 10lb S-eye. He went to put it on a stringer and like 6 guys charged from the water and he went running off with the fish, abandoning his net in the process. Always brings a smile to my face: Some guy running of away from six pissed off anglers screaming "Auy yui yai" :D :D :D

19. Bubba bass bigfoot

That would have been a sight lol.