close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Waded Darby. 5-31-07 (PIC)

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bubba bass bigfoot, May 31, 2007.

1. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Me and my dad went to the Darby right when i got home from school. A surprise to me. the day started slow. Did see a big Buffalo carp off the bank (24 inches and 10 plus pounds, it was thick). my dad got a SM about 10 inches. i got a 8 1/2 inch rock bass and a 15 inch smallie. they were not hitting for the longest time. really had to find them today. the bigger smallie was my dads lol. he called me over to hold his other rod b/c he got it tangled on the first cast. he pointed out the fish. i told him that it was not a smallie, and that it was a BIG Northern Hog Sucker. but i looked at a the wrong fish, the smallie was 6 foot begind the sucker. so i casted to make the sucker move to prove my point lol and BAM the smallie hit. i felt real bad. it was his fish. i was holding 2 rods in hand so he went to get the hooks out. the fish kicked and set the hook right in my dads thumb. so he took his knife cut his thumb open and got the hook out :p it was cool lol.
    These Sucker were HUGE. biggest i have ever seen. i have heard of fly fishing for them but thought they were so small it would be no fun. but know that i have seen the Big ones i will fish for them. most were 15 plus inches but there were a couple 20 inches plus one looked like it was 30. CRAZY. they look alot like carp but after really looking at one, they were suckers. i want to catch one. they are bottom feeders (like carp) do ya think they would hit a live worm seeing how big they were. could not get them to hit anything though. they do spook easy.
    have any of you caught these? and if so how do they fight. another fish on must catch list. now its Gar, Sucker, and of couse Tarpon. well atleatsi can get Gar and Sucker here in ohio.

Heres the Smallie i got.
    [​IMG]

2. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

I got my first sucker in about 20 years last winter. I was shocked that I got it on a huge size 14 Husky Jerks going for saugeye at Indian lake. I used to get them occasionally when I was into using more organic bait back in my youth instead of artificial like now. I used to nail them in the Darby also on beef liver and worms. They fight pretty good pound for pound, alot like a carp. Heres the pic of my sucker from last winter at Moundwood
    [​IMG]

3. Are you talking about buffalo suckers or hog nose suckers? I catch buffalo suckers all the time while fishing for carp. They have a really small mouth usually so you will get alot of hits with very few hook ups, we have caught them up to 20 lbs. I have never caught a hog nose sucker on rod and reel but I used to cast net them all the time for flathead bait. 4"-10" were the ticket to big flatheads.

Jake

4. Bubba bass bigfoot

they looked just like to be Northern Hog Sucker but BIG. but i dont think i have seen a Buffalo Sucker, so they could have been those but dont think so. is that the carp? if it is than it was not but saw one of those also.

5. I have seen a few big suckers in the Darby(Buffalo) and hooked into carp that I had no chance of turning, seen alot of them on sunny days around the Rt.62 bridge.

6. Buffalo suckers kinda look like a carp but they are a dark gray, they get to be over 60lbs. You will see them alot rolling out in fast current when the rivers are high. I have caught some huge hog nose suckers in my cast net before, probably close to 4 or 5 lbs. The only suckers other than buffalo that I have caught on rod and reel are red-tail suckers. They are fun to catch but you better use a size 10 or 12 hook and a small piece of crawler. Like anything though, you will probably catch more rockies, gills, chubs and shiner than suckers. They are very spooky and hit very quickly, a waste of good fishing time in my book. They are much easier to castnet, with the only real value being live bait for flatheads.

Jake

7. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

These large fish sound like SM or LM Buffalo. If they had a darker bluish or grayish tint to them, then that is what they were.

8. Bubba bass bigfoot

Some had a grey blue tint on their backs, and orange belly.

9. HI, all I just moved to the area and the big Darby is within walking distance to the house. I am looking for some tips on fishing the Big Darby any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!:)

10. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

two words: Rebel Craw, above or below rapids.

11. Bubba bass bigfoot

see i have never had much luck witht the Rebel Craw. looks like i will have to get some new ones, better colors. and see how it goes.

12. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

If I'm fishing with spinning gear, rebel craw(small and large) is always my first choice.

13. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

black & silver a.c. shiner lures have always worked really well for me on darby.

14. for numbers of fish, rebel craws - twistertails- and inline spinners.
    for size use, buzzbaits, poppers, 4inch senkos, and 4 inch texas rigged powerworms.

not to say you cant catch big ones on all lures I just know there is a preference.