Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself, being a new member and all.

I am new to fishing in Columbus and streams in general. I grew up fishing the Niagra river, Lake Erie and the lakes surrounding Cleveland.

I have been trying to learn the streams around Columbus this year and have had a blast. Not having a kayak, I have been limited with spots to fish, I just don't know where to park most of the time for access to spots that look good.

Mostly I have fished the Scioto around Griggs and have waded around Scioto park. I average about 2 smallies on a good trip. The search for a great spot continues to elude me. At this rate I think I might be fishing for a couple of years before finding myself a honey hole :p

Today I waded Alum near Three Creeks. I started at Heron Pond and went waded for about an hour south then back up. I just couldn't believe how clear the water was. It was like fishing in tap water. I only saw one bass and caught one dink that was smaller then my pop r. There was no stealth involved in today's trip. Is this area usually so clear?

Thanks for all the informative discussions you folks keep posting. This appears to be a great community.

Happy Fishing.

·
Registered
337 Posts
just wanted to say welcome to the site and nice meeting you the other day at big darby. i ended up walkin down the rest of the way down to the creek and it did look decent. i should have taken my gear. i'm def going back there ill let ya know if its a good spot or not. i wade the darby quite a bit so i'll prolly see ya again.

·
Hack Fisherman
116 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I think you will find that nearly everyone on here is willing to lend a helpful hand.

I dont have a kayak either but that doesnt mean you need to be limited. Nearly every stream, with the exception of the Scioto, can be waded entirely. Especially with the lack of rain this year.

Try google maps for some places along many of the creeks and rivers for places to park. You should def be able to identify some spots. Then once you get there, its all trial and error.

This is my first full year fishing the rivers and im getting better. Ive had to walk a long, long ways to find some of the spots ive been going to but the walk is definitely worth it!

Good luck

·
WHODAMAN
378 Posts
Hello, Welcome!!
All I have to say is that you have to explore and read posts on this website. I really don't think it will take two years to find a honey hole. You just have to explore different areas. Get in your vehicle and drive down roads by the river and look for good water and plan trips. If you hang around this site long enough, you might even get invited to go with one of the more experienced anglers from the site. This is how I have learned of many good spots. Some of the guys on here have been fishing these streams from 10-30 years. Lots of info on here, very informational site.
Good Luck
Maybe we'll hookup sometime and head out

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to the site!!
You are absolutely right, this is a great community. I started fishing central Ohio rivers a few years back and was in the same position. OGF and the fellow anglers have certainly pointed me in the right direction and also helped me become a better angler.

Walk that extra mile and you are bound to find that honey hole you are looking for. Fishing in the streams has been difficult recently without any rain fall, but hopefully this recent rain will get the rivers flowing again like they should. Not to mention, fishing rivers in Central Ohio is unlike fishing any lake, especially due to the reservoirs/dams dictating much of the flow.

Also use the search feature, there is a lot of great info out there in old threads. Also use google earth and do some exploring and you are bound to get on some nice fish. Persistence has certainly paid off for me.

Tight lines. MP

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

I have been on google earth for days on end for about 2 weeks now. My wife is giving me some strange looks. She did take a look at the pic of a saugeye I caught the other day in Griggs and I think she was impressed... I think. She thought my fishing addiction was over when we moved to Columbus years ago. Ah well, she will have to get over it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts