close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wade Fishing!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by twistertail, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Anyone else getting excited about doing some wade fishing this summer? With the temps starting to warm up I've already got my creek box put together. I've got a small plano box with jigs and tails, small cranks, spinners and tube baits, all I have to do is grab that box and my ultrlight and hit the creek. That is one of my favorite ways to fish. Anyone ever wants to get together for some wade fishing in central Ohio let me know.

2. Wading is my favorite thing to do! I haven't been out yet this year. However I did get a new pair of neoprene waders but I've just been holding off yet, it still too cold for me.TightLines!

"Fishing: Good Things Come To Those Who Wade!"

3. I like it best when the water is warm enough to not need waders at all. Have you used neoprene waders before? I had a pair and they only lasted a few years. They are comfy and warm in cooler water but if you have to walk through the woods, like I often do, they get snagged really easy and little pieces get torn off. Rocks get them pretty bad also. Lots of people love neoprene but I wont get them again. I have a pair of featherlight from cabelas that only cost about 30 bucks 6 or 7 years agos and they have been the best waders I have ever had. They are not warm at all, have to were extra clothes when the water is cold, but they have held up great.

4. catking

catking Banned

I love to wade fish . I've caught saugeye, sauger, LM bass, carp, cats and of course what I'm after - SMALLIES :) You just never know what will hit your lure. I usually wear gym shoes and shorts. CATKING.

5. Thats the best when its hot out and you can wade down the creek and catch all kinds of stuff. I love the color of some of the sunfish I catch out of the creeks, really brite colors of blue and orange. A few years ago we were catching mooneyes from Darby Creek. Nobody new what there were so we took one to a baitshop and they didnt know either. They sent it up to OSU and they said it was a mooneye. I guess they are pretty common in the Ohio and Mississippi river but usually dont come up as far as the Darby. Mostly used for bait fish.

6. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

You KNOW that you're gonna be wading- through the B.S.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

UFM82

7. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

hey twistertail, I would be interested in going wading with you sometime. I bought a pair of waders last year and only got out twice, with no luck and I have gone out once this year with no luck. I bought them because I thought stream fishing would be a blast but I haven't found anything to bite when I'm fishing. I'm at OSU and would be in for any stream within 45 minutes of here. Let me know if you want to hit up a stream sometime.

8. Keep in touch and once the water warms up we can hit Darby. It would probably be about a 45 minute drive. I used to live on campus but never fished anyplace up there so I cant help much with any creeks in Coumbus.

9. JBJ

JBJ

Yup. I just HAD to read this thread... Now you guys got me thinking about it again. I was able to get out a few weeks back for a couple of hours on the Scioto. Haven't been able to make the time since though. I have 3.5 Neoprenes that are 5 years old and they still don't have any leaks. I agree with you guys about wading in shorts being THE BEST, for sure.

A little tip for those needing a little extra warmth when the waders just aren't enough. Try wrapping bubble wrap packing material around your legs. Works good for me.

Hey Basspro1, if you are needing wading locations in the Columbus area, go to the Scioto River just South of the Griggs Dam. You can wade a mess of spots around there. I do quite a bit of smallie hunting where the disc golf course is. Another good spot is up around Hard Road in the Dublin park that has the Leatherlips memorial. (Can't remember the actual name of the park at the moment.)

10. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Twister,
    Summer wadin is a blast..lots of numbers and everyonce in awhile ya hit a biggie..but coldwater wadin(in Neo's of course)..is a ton of fun and the best way to beat cabin fever....ive caught a LOT of great smallies so far this year...many 100's more to come.

Good luck on the "creek" this year man,
    Scott

11. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

JBJ, that park is called Leather Lips park :D It's located just south of Hard Rd. on the west side of Riverside Dr.

12. catking

catking Banned

I saw that little immature jab at DA KING !!! UFM82 :p BWHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA :rolleyes: THE CATKING !!! :p

13. basstrackerman

basstrackerman marshall

ill go wade fishing. i dont use waders either, just old shoes and shorts. been doing it for 25 years,im 37. i have a river that runs through my back yard :) and been fishing it forever. lots of smallies. i live in knox county and work in marion as a corrections officer. email me and let me know!! have a great day.

bill

14. I used to wet wade all the time in rural SW Ohio and other than the stupid water snakes there were no worries. Then I moved to more populated areas and now waders are required. Even if the water is warm, waders are kind of a full body condom so I can wade the local waters without worrying too much about the filth I'm stepping in :p

Steve

15. JBJ

JBJ

That's what I've always called it too DaleM. I noticed that the sign at the entrance says something different though. I'll have to check it the next time up there.

16. Just waded 4-mile creek today and let me tell you, the water is still quite cold. But, on the good side, I couldn't feel the cold after a while and I did manage one largemouth.

17. I'm looking forward to some summertime wading here on the Hocking towards Logan. Plenty of 10-12 inch smallies and some bigger ones here and there. Looking to get another 17 incher on the tube!!!!!!
    I also got a pair of waders for Christmas but haven't made it out. Was waiting for it too warm up and then the ponds started turning on. You gotta love smallies!

18. Hey ou, maybe we can get together sometime this summer. I would love to hit the Hocking some time.

19. Sounds good. I've heard the stretch through Logan and right below is good. Farthest point towards Logan for me is starting at Dee's Diner on 33 before Haydenville. I would love to try out the other part!