close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wade boot recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by RiparianRanger, Mar 25, 2017.

1. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

For me it's all about the comfort and support. BOA's tighten uniformly throughout the boot, whereas laces can produce pressure points/loose areas, at least in my experience. Also once laces get wet they tend to become sloppy and stretch a bit.

Also, taking them on/off is bliss. Downright bliss. No joke, they go on/off like a pair of slippers. Forget jumping around on one foot trying to get them on / off at the car. Even once they've shrunk / dried out for a month or two, same deal. Bliss.

Seriously, take your waders out to Cabelas and try them on for yourself (I do it all the time out there).

I guess it really all depends on the person, but me, man, I love them damn things :D

2. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

3. I concur with acklac7 and as I stated early on in this thread, The Korkers Dveil's Canyon boots with the boa system that I have offer the best support and comfort of any boot I have ever owned. The terrain that I wade most often is difficult at best with switchback rocks and it pure torture on your ankles and hell on your equipment. These boots have stood up to the test in both respects, my ankles feel great when I exit the river and the boots look unscathed from the days outing. As acklac7 said, pure bliss on boot removal, you pull that boa dial and the boot slips right off. I have these boots on and off in a fraction of the time that my fishing buddy does with his simms boots. Furthermore, I have never had to tighten them when on the river like I had too with traditional lace boots that loosened up or came untied on the river;I don't miss that at all!

4. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Same goes here, the terrain im encountering is damming, knarly stuff. Also important to note I have bad feet / ankles, and have a tendancy to be a bit unstable on my feet while wading, espescially as I get older. Needless to say when I slip / go down I usually go down HARD. Before BOA's I had to exercise a great deal of caution on where I fished and where I crossed because I simply didn't feel safe with any laceable boot. They just didn't give me enought support. I always felt weary of spraining (or breaking) an ankle should I take a seriously wrong step. I don't think twice with BOA boots.

Now, in regards to tightening them, or repeatedly tightening them during an outing. I'll be the first to admit I periodically tighten them down about 5-7 times over the course of 3-4 hours. They don't neccesarily come loose (most people likely wouldn't even notice) but me, I like my boots tight as a cast at all times. And achieving that level of maximum support is as easy as bending over and turning a dial a couple clicks every now and then. Bamn, done.

5. smath

smath Urban Angler

Korkers has a new boot out that opens from the back. Looks very cool. I've been wearing Korkers for 4 or 5 seasons now and love them. I've had no trouble with the BOA sytem, which I love, and I have several pairs of soles which I change depending on the conditions. Currently I use the studded rubber soles for both steel and trout. The streams around Cleveland can be slippery as hell because of the clay/mud banks. Studs are essential. Last season I switched to the studded soles on rocky trout streams and now that's all I use.

6. RiparianRanger

RiparianRanger formerly known as BronzebackFanatic

Getting ready to pull the trigger and am leaning toward rubber with metal studs. Still feel like you prefer this setup over all felt for Mid Ohio applications?

7. smath

smath Urban Angler

As I posted above, if you're walking around streams with mud/clay banks, felt soles can be treacherous. You need studs for those streams. I switched to the Korkers rubber soles with studs and I now use them for all my fishing -- except when I'm in a boat. Studs are not welcome in a boat or canoe. One final comment, I have the Korkers with the Boa lacing system and I love them. I've had no problems with the Boa system and they make it so much easier to get in and out of my boots. As one of the posters said above, no more hopping around trying to get into or out of your boots. The Korkers open real wide and, for me, they are extremely comfortable.

RiparianRanger likes this.
  8. I've got Korkers and the heel tag has snapped off of 2 pairs. The first pair, Korker gave me a discount on a replacement pair, and when my second pair had the same problem after 2 years, I decided I'm done with the Korkers. It's probably my fault in how I take them off, but it's second nature to me to use my foot to push against my heel, so these just won't work for me. Another tip for wading boots is to go a couple sizes bigger than your normal shoe. My booties always bunch up when slipping my foot into my boot and cut off my circulation, making my feet freeze in the winter.

9. Shoe brand is your choice but I'd stay away from the Boa lacing system. Pain in the butt.

10. Absolutely

11. RiparianRanger

Well the family surprised me for Father's Day. I received a pair of Korker K5 Bomber.

Unbelievable ankle support on these things. Haven't tried them in the field but just from walking around the house I can tell I didn't know what I was missing.

12. RiparianRanger

For Korker owners, if you could choose just one sole to buy what would it be?

Similar to all Korkers as I understand it, my K5s came with the standard all-felt and the Kling-on all rubber. Reviews I've read don't lavish praise on Kling-on and I imagine felt is felt regardless of who makes it. On a muddy hillside I'm going to slip.

I'm looking at rubber plus metal cleats as a good compromise for central Ohio waters. Korker list three such options on their site 1) Vibram studded Idogrip sole with 30 smaller carbide tipped studs, 2) traditional rubber sole with 14 7mm replaceable carbide tipped studs, and 3) Alumatrax which looks like something in Batmans arsenal. Anyone with firsthand experience willing to lend their thoughts?

13. smath

smath Urban Angler

I use the soles with the smaller studs for all stream and river fishing. I have a pair with the larger studs that I've used when conditions are icy. If I were to have only one set of soles I'd get the soles with the smaller carbide studs. I've stopped wearing felt soles altogether.

14. RiparianRanger

To confirm, those are the Vibram Idogrip soles, right?

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/soles-accessories.html

15. smath

smath Urban Angler

I've got the kling-on soles. The Idogrip are more expensive, so presumably, they're better. I've never used them so can't make the comparison.