Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Ive gotten interested in fishing smb in my local streams and rivers, but the water is getting a little to cold for shorts. I dont want to spend two or three hundred dollars on a pair, and was also wondering if felt soles are nessecary in our area (Oh,Ky and Ind.) I know they are a must in the smokie mnts. Also I would only be using them in early Spring and Fall so heavy insulation isnt nessecary. It seems buying a pair that have boots attached is the way to go, verses having to buy wading boots for another hundred buck? any advise is appreciated!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I personally like insulated waders like Pro Series 5 millimeter waders they protect better can wear winter or summer and the boots have good grip on the bottom

Sent from my VS920 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
keep an eye out on the marketplace. Waders pop up all the time.

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boathead, are you speaking of Pro Line brand wadders?

Dovans, what do you mean by the Marketplace? sales? a section of this site?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
OGF marketplace. Theres a pair of waders on there now.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a pair of Hodgman neoprene boot foot waders (rubber soles) that I bought a number of years ago. They are still like new. I got them for occasional wading and float tube use. They serve their purpose well, but if I were to spend more than an occasional trip in them, I would go to breathable stocking foot waders with boots.

The reasons, I sweat A LOT, and the ability to layer clothes appropriate for the conditions would be nice (a t-shirt and shorts in the summer, or few layers in the winter). The way I use my waders, I'm not going to wear the boots out any time soon, but if I used them often, I would appreciate being able to replace the boots without replacing the waders or vice versa in case one or the other fails or wears out. My local waters don't require felt soles, but if some of them did, I would appreciate having the option to switch back and forth.

What it boiled down to for me were how often I would use the waders and my budget. Because of those constraints, I have what I have. If the budget were larger, or wading/tubing played a bigger role in my fishing, I may have gone the other way.

Joe

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I got some Rocky neoprene boot waders, MudSox, or something similar. Rubberized knee pads, zip up ammo pocket over velcoro pouch over Chech/hand pouch. 800g of thinsolet. These things are great. Got them off eBay, unused, for 50% off retail. Still on eBay for same price too. I love mine but have not had them very long....

Mr. A

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I will keep a eye on the marketplace, also checked e bay, but most are for duck hunters, and none had belts, which I have read will prevent you from being a human anchor if water comes pouring in! I am patiently waiting for the new Field and Stream store to open and possably get a deal on a pair, it seems neoprene is a popular material for wadders, also read some good reviews on the Frog Togg brands although I am leary about how they would wear vs. neoprene. I am undecided on how much thinsolet I should look for? knowing after the water gets real cold, fish get lockjaw. I will keep looking and saving!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Fish really don't get lock jaw in cold water they are a cold blooded animal you just have to give them what they want in the cold water (see ice fishing posts). My waders are old but they are the pro series 5mm chest waders. Had them for 7 years noticed water in the left foot this past spring it's time for some new ones.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
___upacreek
1,358 Posts
For what you're looking for I'd buy a pair of breathable stocking foot waders. I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Simms Goretex waders 7 years ago and they are still going strong. I figure I got a good return on the investment. I'm sure any brand with breathable material will be great. I like to roll the top part down and secure it with a wading belt on warmer days, this is easier to do with the thin breathable material.

I say stocking foot because you can still wear wading boots while wet wading with neoprene socks. No need for felt. You can also buy other waders and keep your same boots. I have neoprene waders for the coldest days.

Just my .02

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
466 Posts
I wear breathables all year for erie steelhead... neoprenes are warmer, but if you layer enough under the breathables i'm just as warm in them, and when the temps are more mild you aren't sweating your butt off. Patagonia has a great warranty, check out the rio Azul.

·
477 Posts
Idk if you have under amour or not but I just buy the $20 bargin wader's that dick's has in a crate. They last about 2 years. I've tried all different type's ranging from 50-200 dollars, after about 5 years all of them have developed leaks. Maybe just the way I take care of them but for 20 bucks they work for me. Call them to find out if they have them, it's a seasonal thing they do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts