Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had planned lastnight on wading this morn after work and didnt know we had a storm comming through. i kept the weather channel on all morn and waited until the lightning stopped and headed out about 930. i just bought a new spinner and thought i'd give it try. caught one smallie about 9 inches and a couple minutes later got a nice sauger about 12 inches. i wasn't getting anything after that so i tried something else. ive allways wanted to try senkos wacky style and because of a response to my smallies on grubs post and meating a guy the other day that swears by them i had to buy some. wow, what a day it ended up being. the only problem is, its all about the timing when setting the hook. i only landed two, but they were def quality fish. i lost 5 in between the two i landed and all this was within about an hour and i only waded about 500 yards up stream. i can't wait to go out and get more experience with them. i got a couple cool pics too.

here's the first was a pb 16 1/4 inches.
big darby smallie.jpg

the second was 14 1/2 inches
big darby smallie 1.jpg

that second you can see he also had a craw in his throat, the claw is sticking out.
smallie craw.jpg

Attachments

·
Multi Species Angler
6,190 Posts
Nice fish! I have seen a claw or two stickin out before. It's always cool to see.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nice fish and glad to see you got out today. plastic are tricky but at least you are in a good spot. Try a rebel craw crankabait. S/B a slam dunk by the looks of that guys gullet. I'm sitting 27 floors up in the Rhodes tower and can see the scioto pure torture ......... so get out again and catch some more fish :D

L.C.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice fish Scappy!

I also have been trying senco's wacky this year. I have some good success with them. The best advice I can give is to watch that line for any odd movement.

On another note, have you tried that spot we met at a few weeks ago? I haven't been back yet.

·
1,319 Posts
A lot of guys use wacky rigging up here around the western part of lake erie, it produces but you do have to play with it a little bit. Great fish none the less!:)

·
Lost Sailor
437 Posts
Try using a circle or mosquito style hook. Or if you want to get fancy, search out the wacky style hooks from Owner. Don't worry about setting the hook so much. When you feel the fish pick up the bait, just bring the line taught and start reeling.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
Kevin is here!!!!

lol

I second the wacky hooks, don't set the hook, wait until you feel weight, then reel them in...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice fish Scappy!

I also have been trying senco's wacky this year. I have some good success with them. The best advice I can give is to watch that line for any odd movement.

On another note, have you tried that spot we met at a few weeks ago? I haven't been back yet.
no i haven't been back there either. i've wanted to but haven't been in the mood to walk that far. i will eventually tho. ill let ya know if it's worth the walk or not. i hope the bite has picked up for ya. you said you've been looking for some new spots. i've stuck to big darby and have been doin ok.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try using a circle or mosquito style hook. Or if you want to get fancy, search out the wacky style hooks from Owner. Don't worry about setting the hook so much. When you feel the fish pick up the bait, just bring the line taught and start reeling.
right now i'm using a 4 inch worm w/ a 3/0 gamakatsu wide gap hooked with an o-ring. circle hook sounds a little easier. i'll look into the wacky hooks too, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice fish scappy! After the thread on grubs I made my self get out and catch something on them.... Now I have to actually catch something on the Senko's I have. Only used them once or twice and didn't stick with it, but I know they can produce.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Do you have to center the worm exactly?
Absolutely not. Just get it somewhere near the middle. Bass inhale those things, so there's no need to worry about how close to the middle you are.

Also, I've said this before, but if you want to get used to the feel of a hit on a senko, use them early spring in a location that allows you to sight fish. Throw the worm a foot in front of the fish and watch what happens. This is how I went from frustrated to confident with senko's.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice fish scappy! After the thread on grubs I made my self get out and catch something on them.... Now I have to actually catch something on the Senko's I have. Only used them once or twice and didn't stick with it, but I know they can produce.
yeah and i still have to catch one on grubs. next time out i'll give them another go. i'm going try a few dif ways that the guys talked about in that thread.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice fish :good: I'll have to give senkos more of a chance. I do well with Largemouth on senkos, but have to gain more confidence with them for smallies.

·
Banned
34 Posts
caught about 25 smalls in the upper tangy almost all on 3 inch senkos last night....6:00 til about 9:00 pm last night.....then 3 on topwater floating worms....used small circle hooks

·
stripes and smallies
777 Posts
When fishing in the rocks i rig em texas style(weedless) . Falcon has wacky weedless hooks, but i only have used the wacky rig for largemouth because i am using the 3 in senkos for smallies, doesnt seem necessary.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts