close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vonage (Internet Phone)

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by captnroger, Dec 28, 2004.

1. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Just wanted to give you folks a quick review of my impressions of the Vonage Internet phone service.

One day earlier in the month, the landline in our house just went dead. Phone company checked things out, and said the problem was 'in our house'. The previous owner ran a cable company, and had a mess of wires all over the place (every room in the house is wired for cable AND phone, and the cat even installed a 'master switch' so he could shut all the lines off in the house). Looking at the phone company's hourly rate, the fact they couldn't guess how long it would take to figure out, and the fact that our phone bill is rediculously high ($65.00 for local and LD service), I looked for other options.

We've been using Vonage for a couple of years with some of our telecommuters here at work very successfully. It's a voice over IP (VoIP) based phone system, which uses your broadband internet service. The price is incredible - $14.99 for their 5-hour a month plan which includes 5 hours of phone time basically anywhere in the world, or $24.99 for their unlimited plan. We don't talk much on the phone, so I opted for their $14.99 plan. The order was quick and painless over the internet, and they do charge a one-time activation fee of $29 bucks and shipping charges for the equipment. I got an email confirmation of shipment of the order the next day and had the equipment in a week.

The box came with a snazzy installation DVD, a Linksys ROUTER with 3 ports and two phone ports. Since I already have a router, it was a simple swap-out for me. Then plugged our cordless phone in the phone port, powered up everything, and in a few moments the phone service was active. In other words, painless installation.

I opted of course to transfer my existing home number which takes up to 20 business days, so my 'real' number isn't live yet, but they give you a temporary number to use in the meantime. We've talked on the phone for probably an hour over the holiday and you can't tell it from a normal phone. Quality is extremely clear. Best of all, we're going to save better than $50/month on our phone bill (over $600 annual savings).

I give this product/service a big thumbs up. www.vonage.com for more info, and if you want to purchase, I have coupons for a month worth of free service, just PM me and I'll send them to you!

2. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Sounds like your onto something, Roger. The price is way right. ;)

3. I Just Hooked Mine Up Today..cant Beat That Deal Anywhere..

4. I signed up for Packet8 back in March and love it. I think VOIP is the way to go now. I pay $13 a month for like 500 calling minutes unless to another P8 customer then it's no charge also no charge to my minutes when someone calls me. I don't even use a landline due to having 2 cell phones and the P8 in the house. Free long distance, 500 minutes, E911 service, and CHEAP!!!
    The quality is really good too. Lots of cool extra features included in the price like call forwarding, voice mail... You can even take the box with you and use it anywhere you have high speed connection like hotels and stuff too.
    SOrry didnt meant to take over the thread just wanted to throw in on the VOIP thing.

5. I have digital phone from Time Warner and it is simply the better product when compared to the phone company. I am starting to work at home shortly and will probably be making 30 hours of long distance calls per month. VoIP is a no brainer. Packaging it with my cable TV and internet just made it that much easier to make the decision.

6. I have used Vonage for about 8 months now and really like it. The quality is usually really good and the features you get with Vonage , like voice mails sent to your email, etc are really neat.

7. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

We switched to the time warner digital also for the price and no cost long distance were saving good money compared to sprint and long distance bill from ATT. Happy so far.

8. I TRIED VONAGE OR TRIED TO GET VONAGE I MEAN..THEY SENT ME THE ROUTER TO HOOK UP..SO THEY SAID CALL EM WHEN I GET IT IN THE MAIL.I CALLED AND THEY ROUTE CALLS TO INDIA.CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT THE GUYS SAYING.THEY DONT COME TO YOUR HOUSE FOR ANYTHING AT ALL I WAS TOLD.THE PKG.WAS SHORT SOME PARTS.SO THEY SEND ME THE OTHER PARTS.HOOK EM UP AND HAVE TO STILL USE A PHONE LINE THE GUY SAYS.LINE HAS A HUMING SOUND..NOT WORTH A DARN.SO I CALL EM AGAIN.SAME THING CANT UNDERSTAND TH E GUY..SO I GET FED UP W/EM.THERES NO 911 SERVICE AND 1-800 CALLS ARE AN XTRA 5 BUCKS A MONTH.COST ME MONEY TO SEND IT BACK.THEN THEY TELL ME ITS 39 MORE $ TO CANCEL THE ORDER.IN SHORT THE CO. STINKS.THERES HIDDEN FEES AND POOR SERVICE.STICK WITH A REPUTABLE CO. AND IF ITS TOO LOW TO BE TRUE THERES A CTACH TO IT... :mad:

9. I have digital phone service also. As I am not computer literate or interested in computers in general, I decided to check out the various services prior to purchasing. When I checked out Vonage and learned ahead of time what Argee found out the hard way, I decided on our local service offered by Armstrong. A technician from Armstrong did the installation in my home :) and we have been trouble free for several months. A real plus is being able to contact a local company and speak to people you can understand as well as relate to your problems or questions. $34.95 per month versus $90 t0 $115 as in the past with Verizon.

10. I got mine 11 days ago - 10 days to get att&t to switch the number and absolutely no problem.

10 3 minutes to hook it up - but I have 4 different hubs/routers in convenient places and did all my phone wiring also.

But any dummy should be able to hook it up easily.

Quality is great - have 911 and I don't need a 1-800 number so 25 a month is fine for me.

Only thing different I notice is it takes about 3-4 seconds longer to connect a local call than before.

11. NE LINE THE GUY SAYS.LINE HAS A HUMING SOUND..NOT WORTH A DARN.SO I CALL EM AGAIN.SAME THING CANT UNDERSTAND TH E GUY..SO I GET FED UP W/EM.THERES NO 911 SERVICE AND 1-800 CALLS ARE AN XTRA 5 BUCKS A MONTH.COST ME MONEY TO SEND IT BACK.THEN THEY TELL ME ITS 39 MORE $

To make an 800 calls is part of the service - it's extra if you want your own 800 number. The contract you agree on tells you the dis-connect fee - also the router or which ever box you got free is not free if you cancel within a certain amount of time.

12. Thats Not I Was Told About The 800 Nos.i Had It Hooked Up Right.in Fact When I Called Vonage He Verified That.after Spending 30 Minutes On The Phone With The Guy He Couldnt Tell Me Why The Line Was Humming.he Said I Will Have To Call Ya Back.of Course He Never Did Call Me Back.i;ll Keep Sbc, At Least They Speak Plain English........

13. skype-out is free now, and the voice quality is great.

I hope you guys did not buy Vonage shares - they announced they are not planning to be profitable. Many people got ripped-off with their $17 a share price.

14. Yes Skype is free, but only if you call others that are using skype. You can't call landlines for free, that cost. You also can't call 911 with Skype.

15. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

I'm thinking of getting Vonage and read this thread from 2 years ago. Lots of good reviews and a few strong negative reviews.
    Does anyone have any more, recent, experiences with Vonage? It sure looks like I could save a lot of money if it works as advertised.
    Thanks,
    Brian

16. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Brian, now that everyone else is offering digital phone, see if your cable provider offers it. The rub with Vonage (for me at least) is when the equipment dies, you have to buy new. When my Vonage-specific cordless phones died, I switched to my cable providers phone service. If their equipment fails, they replace it.