close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

volt meter...???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by peon, Sep 21, 2005.

1. peon

peon account delete

i got a volt meter for xmas a few years ago. i have never used one and need to use it but dont know what all these settings are for... i need to test a battery to see if its good.. and i need to pinpoint a wire on my dads old truck that must have a short... any advice on what settings to use will be great!!

2. Peon , do you have a manual for the meter? ON my old fluke meter there is 2 v 's 1 is for dc and the other is ac the 1 for ac has a wave over it ! so you want to use the other 1 . for the short in the truck i would use ohms, the setting that looks like a horse shoe on it ! to see if you have a short put 1 lead on the wire and the other on a good ground! with the power off do this !LOL joe

3. I would be very careful if you don't what the settings are. I don't think you test for ohms with the power on in the item being tested-it should blow the fuse in the meter or the meter itself.

4. peon

peon account delete

its a new meter and i can find a book from it.. iv been told to hook the one wire on the volt meter to positive wire on batery and other to neg. and to pull the fuses on the truck out till one makes the volts go down to regular..

5. Use your test light between the terminal and post. Hot or neg it dont matter.
    When the light goes out from pullin fuses you got the short. Make sure there isnt a draw off the batt prier. Lights,radio ect... :) If you use the meter then the batt v should rise whern the short is eliminated.

6. peon

peon account delete

do i unhook the battery cable? and start the truck of leave it off..

7. The test light will light if a draw is present. The more the draw,the brighter the light. If no light present,no short enless a bad batt. Disconnect one term and hook light between it.

8. peon

peon account delete

ok ill try tomarrow thanks.. but onto my boat battery?? how do i use the volt meter to test it?? is that ac volts or dc.. ???and there are different switches with numbers under ac and dc volts...

9. Charge it for 8 hrs on trickle(10amp) Leave set over night and the v should be just above 12vdc. Direct current. Some meters run from 0-20/20-100 ect..
    If not 12v or higher the batt is bad or low on water. Water should be checked before charging. Becareful not to remove mait. free caps and DO NOT hook charger up with caps off or charger on. :C :C Been there done that! BOOOOM!

10. Volt meter??? Don't you have Kids? My dad used to have me hold the bare end of two wires and when I jumped...He had current. I ran away when the furnace or dryer broke. For future referrence does anyone know any really really cheap nursing homes.

11. Take your batt somewhere and have it tested,volts don't mean nothing ;) Most bad batts have 12 volts.

12. peon

peon account delete

ok i used the test light as jig said..... when the truck is off and the test light tuches the battery its going to light up???? i dont understand how this method will work cause the light is going to light up cause the battery is good on the truck...?

13. What makes you think there is a wire shorted? I'll try to explain a couple things in case you haven't done any basic electronics. I don't claim to be an electrician but DC circuits are pretty simple once you understand the process. Usually a wire gets chaffed or a connector gets corroded and there is a free path to ground for the electrons to travel. Remember an electron leaving the positive side of a battery will take the path of least resistance back to the negative/low side (also known as the ground side). The negative side of the battery is not necessarily at the same potential as the frame, but is much closer to ground than the positive side. When checking for resistance all a meter is testing is how easy it is for an electron to pass through the circuit, i.e. it will be easier for electrons to pass across an inch of steel than a foot of wood. The difference would be like 0.01 ohms for the steel and infinite ohms for the wood (also known as an open circuit).
    I may have missed it but if you tell us the symptoms of your electrical problems, we may be able to save you from chasing your tail for a while.

14. If you suspect the battery is bad , sub it out with a known good one and check results OR take it to a shop and have it tested. A battery can appear to take a charge and measure 12 volts on a meter but once you put a load on it it will fall right on its face. Now, what wire do you suspect of being shorted? Did we or did we not establish this? Why do you suspect it to be shorted? And do you have a wiring diagram for this vehicle?

Meters usually have an AC scale, DC scale, and an Ohms scale and alot of times the manufaturers color them differently so you can follow them across the scale. All you need to worry about when working on a car is the DC scale for chasing 12 volts around and the Ohms scale for chasing shorts/continuity. If you knew what the purpose of this wire in question is and what is at either end of it you could isolate the wire by disconnecting either one or both ends and checking it to ground for a short OR even check A to B for continuity if you suspect an open. Does any of this make sense???? lol

15. peon

peon account delete

i was wanting to check the battery on my boat and my dads old truck keeps running the battery dead and he had the battery check and it was fine... so it has to have a short somewhere // just trying to locate a short....

16. I would take that boat battery to a shop that can check it under load also. Measuring it's voltage with your meter isn't really telling you too much. Now, your Dad's truck is a different story. You've already established that the battery is good, right? I think a good place to start would be to start the truck and put your meter leads across the battery to see if the alternator is doing it's thing. Should be 14 volts or more across that battery if the charging circuit is working. If that appears to be working then you truly are loosing your battery somewhere else in the vehicle. Did you ever say if it was blowing any fuses? Do you draw a spark when the truck is off and you pull the positive lead on and off the battery? How old is this truck?

17. Typical charging from an alternator is 13 - 15 volts. An easy way to check if the alternator is working properly is simple. Start the vehicle and with it running, disconnect the positive battery cable. If the engine dies, the alternator is bad.

As far as the test light looking for a short, let me explain it a little better. Disconnect one side of the battery. Connect the test light between the disconnected cable and the disconnected terminal. Negative cable and negative terminal or positive and positive. If the test light lights, there is a short. All you are doing is reconnecting the battery with the test light not jumping across the battery.

Your boat battery, I would agree with taking it somewhere to have it load tested. A bad cell will not change your voltage but when a load is applied, will drain the battery immediately.

18. peon

peon account delete

its a 1980 chevy stepside with a straight 6 .... the alternator is good had it checked... i just dont understand if i hook the termanal and put the test light between the two how that works cause when the test light touches the battery its gonna light up cause the battery is going to put off power to light it up????
    and its not blowing fuses just running the brand new battery dead.. he also had the battery checked to make sure it was good... its has to be a short somewhere.. thanks for all the help so far..

19. I will try to explain-disconect the neg batt cable-hook test light up to cable-take pointy end of test light and touch it to batt neg post/with the cable still disconected.If it lights you have a short ;)

20. peon

peon account delete

thanks for the help.. i got it figured out.. and there is no short .. dont know what was wrong?? oh well