Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am from Cleveland and will be in Toledo this weekend to visit an old college buddy. Just wondered if anyone could give me a few leads as to where I can go sit on the shore at night and pull a few cats out of the water. I am not expecting anyone to give up their go-to holes, just a place where I wont get shut out or arrested.

Anything within an hour of toledo is doable. Thanks, cant wait to hear back from you guys!

·
Banned
262 Posts
#1 I'd say Sandusky Bay......you will definately catch cats there.

#2 Any of the popular access sites in the Maumee; I like Grand Rapids myself for channels, but at night you are gonna catch em anywhere on the river.

I've done OK on em in Delta and Swanton reserviors too but they were mostly dinks.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Findlay Res is only about 45 minutes south off I-75, some nice cats and not much a chance of getting hassled unless u are doing something bad,bad,bad.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Weirs Rapids access at the Maumee River. There is a spot very close to the parking lot that is at the intersection of the river and a fair sized back channel. It is a popular spot, however, so there is no guarantee that you will have the hole to yourself. Get there about an hour or two before the sun goes down and you should have dibs on what part of the bank you want to set up at. Just look for the old campfire debris and you will be right where you need to be. Channel cats with an occasional flatty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Didn't know if anyone else has encountered this but the DNR has been strictly enforcing the "private property" boundaries around Weir rapids. Seems you can't fish from the beach/bank anymore due to this. I had fished there almost exclusively last year and the first time I went there this year there was an officer waiting. Tried to go out there again couple weeks later and someone showed up less than 30 minutes from the time I arrived. My guess is the morons who would go there after dark and build their fires and leave their beer cans littered about the area caused the land owner to think again about people using this little treasure. My thought is, is it public since it is a beach?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Can't say I blame the landowner.The last time I was there in June I picked up 3 large garbage bags full of assorted junk.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The State stocks all the reservoirs in N.W. Ohio with Channel Cats. Most give up some nice size fish, and with them coming out of nice clean water, they're alot safer eating than River Cats. Findlay #1 is a good place.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Some years ago, the guy who owned the property just downstream of Weirs Rapids defended his turf fiercely -- assorted wild signs, survellience cameras, shouted threats, etc. Don't know what happened, but in recent years the public has been using (abusing?) the beach area. However, it is my understanding of Ohio law that not only the beach but the land UNDER the river is private property as well. You can float over it, but if you touch it with anything at all you are trespassing. Don't know that anyone enforces this law in the river, but it certainly can be an issue if, say, you wade a creek that runs through private property.

Jim

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can't go wrong with the mulmee river look up odnr's river map or go to mulmee bait and tackle they should point you to a good spot to catch that monster flathead just remember be prepaired they fight hard and will destroy your tackle if its not heavy enough so best of luck

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The land under the river only is owned by someone if they own property on both sides of the water. That law is most commonly applied in places that have smaller streams or in places like marinas.

The beach at Weirs is part of the public access I thought. I know that much of the land is private, but I thought that was only if you walked back in along the back channel. I think there are signs up where the public access ends. Its been 2 years or so since I looked for em.

·
Banned
147 Posts
im not from ohio but i have fished the maumee river plenty of times. i know my way around and i usually fish by the perrysburg/maumee bridge access parking lot. someone below mentioned something about setting up a fire? ive seen the burnt logs so i know people are doing it and my question is, is that legal? if it is, ive been thinking about doing that myself but of course without the beer. or, is it legal to be fishing the maumee after dark if i brought a lantern or something also?

·
Registered
389 Posts
The land under the river only is owned by someone if they own property on both sides of the water. That law is most commonly applied in places that have smaller streams or in places like marinas.

The beach at Weirs is part of the public access I thought. I know that much of the land is private, but I thought that was only if you walked back in along the back channel. I think there are signs up where the public access ends. Its been 2 years or so since I looked for em.
Thanks for the info.

The Weirs (or is it weird) property owner I mentioned in my previous post painted a stripe on the rocks denoting his property line (or what he claimed it to be). This stripe, if I remember correctly, was a northerly extension of the east boundry of Weirs parking lot.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
So has anyone been out there as of late? Like I said before I haven't tried because I don't feel like setting up only to be chased off by a DNR officer or worse an angry landowner with a grudge.
To stay in line with the post, there is a little access point not too far up the road from Weir that is used as a canoe launch point. I have been there a couple times in the last week and I was able to pull a couple decent size cats, a couple carp and a river walleye out of the area. It is slower moving water, a little off-shoot from the main river so I think the cats go to these areas to feed/rest. Also the bottom appears rather sandy so no worries about the all too common rocks that typically cost many a snag in the Maumee.

·
Registered
389 Posts
So has anyone been out there as of late? Like I said before I haven't tried because I don't feel like setting up only to be chased off by a DNR officer or worse an angry landowner with a grudge.
To stay in line with the post, there is a little access point not too far up the road from Weir that is used as a canoe launch point. I have been there a couple times in the last week and I was able to pull a couple decent size cats, a couple carp and a river walleye out of the area. It is slower moving water, a little off-shoot from the main river so I think the cats go to these areas to feed/rest. Also the bottom appears rather sandy so no worries about the all too common rocks that typically cost many a snag in the Maumee.
Sounds like you are talking about the canoe landing at Otsego Park. I launch my kayak there now and then and fish in and around the main rapids. It's similar to Weirs.

Two things about the landing: One, it is closed overnight. Two, parking is restricted to handicapped spots (and not always that), though there is adequate parking up hill at the main Otsego Park area.

Another point: I know a guy whose son is a Waterville cop. A few years ago, he said there was a problem at the Maumee access sites with nighttime drug deals. Don't know how the situation stands now and don't mean to scare anybody ... but if I were going midnight catfishing, I'd check with the cops first.

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts