close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by peple of the perch, Jun 5, 2005.

1. im starting to get another virus. reight now the pop ups r starting. last time i got a bill for 200$ for going on to a web sight that i never even new about. can someone give me a respectibal firewall and not notin antivirus because it delets games that you play on line. id give it about 4 days like last time before my computer starts to shut down.

2. jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

3. dnm

dnm

4. gstrick27

gstrick27 ITS BLUEJACKETS TIME!!!!!

http://www.download.com/Spyware-Center/2001-2023_4-0.html?tag=dir

if what u r getting is pop ups u may have just some spyware. the link above is from cnet.com u can get free downloads to remove and block spyware. i use sby bot because i too play online games and in the settings of spy bot you can tell it to ignore certain programs during its checks. another good one is ad aware but it doesnt give you as many options as far as your games go. try getting rid of the spyware first before u spend a ton of cash on antvirus of firewall protection. another thing is, some of the antivirus web sites r not reputable and may have installed a time delay virus so youll have to come back. btw spy bot is free and updates r available regularly. another trick is to switch from internet explorer and all of its security holes and get the mozzila fire fox browser, also available from cnet. any questions on setting the programs up just pm me.

gary

5. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

my brother told me that a router between your line in and computer is the best as nobody gets in without your acceptance. what that means I aint sure. I suppose it is hard to get hacked. I have nortons anti virus which is great. Just the other night it detected a virus and apparently clicked ok on about 100 dif. adwares and I have spent the last three days off and on debuggin so to speak. spybot, adware and nortons. this morning when returning from church I didn't have a one so hopefully I got it fixed.

someone told me to get a google tool bar cuz they block pop ups, then was told to get mozilla. All good but it ain't fixin the cause of my problem. So, I believe I am ad free. I have mozilla downloaded but not installed. I don't like change cuz I am comfortable with IE. Is it just as good or similar.

bill

bill

6. zap

zap

(as a computer tech)......run down to the local wallmart and get a new copy of Norton Antivirus, and if on cable...a Linksys hardware firewall. ....and download a copy of AdAware SE (thats the ONLY spyware removal tool I trust)

good luck

7. jwg299

jwg299 jusluv2fish

8. bill_gfish

ok, pop ups slowed down but not stopped. took a nap came back and had about 10 popped up. How do I ensure that the programs are out of my computer. never had the first pop up other than banner adv. before this and now they are there still after removing every ad/virus I have. where are they comming from, it has to be from the inside.

9. bill_gfish

yes have had hotmail for a long time why. did the nortons in safe mode, not sure you can do the others. will check again though.

bill

10. zap

zap

Make sure you let AdAware update, then run it again and again until it doesn't find anything. That should help tremendously.

11. bill_gfish

I've updated both editions and defs. of adware, spybot, and nortons is up to date. Ran every one till they said found nothing and have ran all 3 in normal and safe and they all haven't found a thing in the last 5 times ran. I am lost.
    what address? IP or hotmail email address? I am leaving to fish here in a minute. I am sure when my wife gets on she'll call me and tell me she has all these pop ups. man, women sure do make life a lot harder. she gets a million and I get 3. not sure?

bill

12. zap

zap

Some people like spybot...I don't. I personally would uninstall it. Next, look for any other popup blockers or tool bars (google, yahoo, etc) most of the time these cause popups...even the ones that say they stop them.

Expect a certain amount of popups from the sites you visit...just click them off. The key is to get to the point where you know they are coming from the sites you visit and you can decide if you really want to go there or not. Until you get to that point, the spyware/adware can be downloading and installing things without your knowing about it.

Another good free firewall program is zone alarm. The professional (read that as paid for) version is much better...but its also a real pain to set up and use. Why I don't normally recommend that.

13. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

bill install mozilla fire fox, I dont have pop ups any more since I use it.

14. fishinrudy

fishinrudy Part time fisherman

I think it is around $40 and it is worth every penny. I run it in the background all the time. I then use it and spybot every so often to run full system scan. Between those Norton AV and windows XP second edition. I never have a problem, and I leave my systems on almost non stop with DSL and a router. I have used Norton AV and PestPatrol to clean up both my brother-in-law and father-in-law's computers.

15. i thought i got rid of it but i just got a pop up