close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

virus scan

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CPTN.CROWN, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Im running my virus scan and it says that files cant be opened. I assume that these are files that I dont need/want on my machine. Anyone know how to fix this problem. Should i run it and turn off system restore? Im running XP PRO.

Thanks

Jason

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

You should kill your system restore regardless...not worth the space, as it will backup virii/spyware with restore points if you are infected.

You logged in with administrator rights?

3. Yes i am the admin.

My main problem is everytime i pull up ie it comes with a search bar on the bottom of my desktop. Ive deleted, quarintened. But it keeps coming back. Its starting to piss me off, and im debating on paying someone to clean up the machine. I run spyware every couple of days, and virus scan weekly. I dont know how it got here but it wont go away :mad:

4. I don't know what search bar it is but you may be able to do this. Go do a Google search for the search bar and include "remove" in your search. You may find some info on how to permanently remove it. I have been able to do that a couple of times in the past.

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I had problems with an unwanted search bar on my puter here at work, but I can't rememver what I did to get rid of it.

I did not realize I should turn off the restore sytem on my computer though. I have had virus that have locked up my computer before and if it weren't for having the resotre function, I owuld have lost all the data and programs I have on this machine. And when I have restored I did not have the problem with that same virus again. I also do scans for virus' and soe of them can't be cleaned or deleted sucks.

6. ShakeDown

All depends on the virus, and how it infects. At work we disable all restore partitions for that reason, as we've learned the hard way that the restore can make things worse. In the long run, I think you may be better off coming up with a backup plan outside of the system restore.

As for the spyware, Pest Patrol blows the doors off adaware/spybot, but it's not free. One of the better free ones, is Bazooka. It's a detection tool, but it doesn't remove the stuff...it will give you instructions how to do it manually, which is sometimes the only way to nail the really nasty ones.

7. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

you guys been browser hi-jacked.. i hate dealing with them..

8. Id like to find the sob's that develop this crap. Should be against the law!!!!

Hey ak, weather aint lookin so good up north this weekend! Prolly be see ya on the banks of the scioto

9. ShakeDown

Look at it this way...just like viruses and crime, look at the industry it created...all the jobs, etc.. :D

They suck suck suck suck. And yes they should be against the law...problem is, the internet being a global entity, it's a chore to even think of policing it. We can criminalize it all day long, but it won't stop the asians/europeans from knocking it out.

It would be better if MS made IE not resemble digital swiss cheese.

10. I hear ya man. THat is the 1 thing i miss about working at the phone company. All i had to do was take the lap top in and tech would fix it. No problems, but i lost him in the divorce to :( :D

11. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

dood..thats why i'm thinking about swapping to Mac..

12. Capt Crown Go to pcworld.com and do a search with keyword hijack and it will give you a free download to get rid of the browser hijacker it works good. Hope yhis will help you Good Luck Fishguy :)

13. fISHGUY, IT DIDNT FIND ANYTHING!

14. I am not sure if you mentioned which spyware detection programs that you ahve tried but I would try a few more. I usually run at least Ad-Aware and Spybot on a system that I suspect is a problem. Make sure that they have the latest updates as well. Shakedown mentioned the Bazooka. It is quick and relatively easy to run. It just requires you to manually remove the program but it is really easy with their instructions.

Also, I don't konw if you have been able to find a name on the toolbar but if you do make sure you do a search for removal instructions on it. I have lucked out that way before.

15. I had one called Mega Search or some such nonsense. It is a bear to remove, and since I am not an admin here at work I couldn't totally remove it.

Anyhow, to at least make it so you don't see it you can do the following:

left click View
    down to toolbars
    hold over toolbars until the dropdown next to it pops up

in that list you can control what toolbars show up in IE

Standard Buttons
    Address bar and
    Links are standard with IE

Anything else is probably a hijack. The good news is this will probably gove you the name of the hijacking program and you can do a search to remove it. Anyway, uncheck anything other than those three above and see if it doesn't disappear.

16. I just finished run NoAdware on my system just out of curiosity. This one is scans for free but you have to pay to be able to remove with the program. Well wouldn't you know it, it finds what it classifies as a severe danger entry in my registry. It found an entry for "internat.exe" and classified it as "Backdoor.Netsnake". Well that immediately made me nervous.:eek: So I researched this backdoor because I really had doubts that anything had slipped past my Norton which is updated daily. It turns out that the "Backdoor.Netsnake" can replace this "Internat.exe" on an infected system. But my system has the valid "Internat.exe".:rolleyes: They wanted me to pay them $29.95 to clear that "problem" up.:rolleyes: It is tough to determine who you can trust, I guess.