Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my sales group on a afternoon charter yesterday out of Virginia Beach. I was not expecting much, the inshore is pretty slow this time of year and it was HOT, 101 deg

We got extremely lucky and found a large school of large redfish (puppy drum) about 5 miles offshore and caught 9 between 18 and 51 lbs, 3 over 40 lbs. Of the 9, 3 were release citations what ever that is. They were all too large to keep and that was fine by us.

I had 7 non fisherman with me that really didn't understand or appreciate how special these big drum were to catch. There were so many you could see the color change in the water from 1/4 mile away. They were not breaking surface but were only a few feet under and it looked like a big red patch of water

We also caught one cobia around 30 lbs that we took to a local restaurant that cooked it for us. It was tremendous.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Great pics! That sounds like an awesome trip! Also looks like you were not the only guys that located that school! lol! I've never encountered schools like that offshore...neat. I have fished them out of schools like that in FL and LA, but in shallow water. Reds are definately one of my favs to fish for inshore.

Amazing to me to read the success of the offshore fishery in VAB the last several yrs. I grew up in VAB, having left in 1988 for college, and I don't recall there being that much of a buzz about offshore fishing there. Granted, inshore fishing was really good in the early 80's- especially Lynhaven Inlet and a few other areas. The inshore quality seemed to really diminish late 80's into the 90's.

Nice to see you guys had a good day out there!!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Looks like a great time. I can’t get over the size of the reds down there. The reds in Fl that I’m used to are about ¼ that size. That one is a pig! Maybe I need to look into a sales career. :D

·
Registered
827 Posts
Looks like a great time. I can’t get over the size of the reds down there. The reds in Fl that I’m used to are about ¼ that size. That one is a pig! Maybe I need to look into a sales career. :D
Magis...You must be on the West Coast!? LOL I have a condo in Sarasota and most of what we get there are 12-20" fish. You'll get an occasional 25-30", but few and far btwn. That said, I have gotten several 40"+ fish in Mosquito Lagoon over near Titusville. If you recally want to get into some great Redfishing, you need to head to southern LA (i.e., Port Sulphur/Venice areas.) I've had plenty of days there where a 28"+ Red was the norm!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Magis...You must be on the West Coast!? LOL I have a condo in Sarasota and most of what we get there are 12-20" fish. You'll get an occasional 25-30", but few and far btwn. That said, I have gotten several 40"+ fish in Mosquito Lagoon over near Titusville. If you recally want to get into some great Redfishing, you need to head to southern LA (i.e., Port Sulphur/Venice areas.) I've had plenty of days there where a 28"+ Red was the norm!
Yep, Englewood/Boca Grande to be exact. One year when the kids are bigger I'd like to go over to Mosquito Lagoon.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Amen, Go in October or April and they catch plenty of 40 to 50 inch drum in the surf of cape point! Not to mention what they do in boats! Go to fishing malitia on -tube and watch some of their videos! Just g back from Hatteras 2week ago! mUch too short of trip. Took boat down and flounder/spanish mackrel fished! I love to fish hatteras and oregon inlets!

·
Registered
971 Posts
that 3rd drum is a fatty. I would love to catch 1 like that someday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts