Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm poking around one of Lebanon's antique/junk shops today waiting for it to quit raining and I spot this old fishing rod. But it looks almost new. Has it been in somebodies garage unused for decades? I pick it up and wiggle it. Hmm...An hour later(with new six pound line) I'm on the creek. The only creek in the county that's clear. Its up but clear. The slow parabolic action of the little ultralight is perfect for throwing little rebel minnows and the smallest pop-r's so that's what I throw. In the hour I fish I catch two and lose one more. I don't think I'd ever throw it in the LMR or GMR but for these tiny creeks it's not too bad at all, Ill probably use it a lot. To me at least, it added something. Even a ten inch bass bent the thing double.

There are, I found out, a lot of serious Mitchell collectors and lots of sites online dedicated to them. The best I can tell my little round bodied Mitchell was made around 1957. So its at least fifty years old. And in great condition, a tribute to how well built they were. I can remember fishing with a Mitchell 300 as a kid. Production of 300's reached an amazing number of 12,000 reels per day in 1970. In 1971 the 20,000,000th reel was sold! I know quite a few of the bigger Mitchells are still used in the surf, they hold up so well. And the little glass rod that came with my 304 is a jewel it the tight quarters of a tiny creek. I might have to consider a modern glass rod for creek fishing someday. If the LMR and GMR are still up tomorrow I might hit the creek again. I cant believe it's almost August and we are still dealing with high muddy water. I mean shouldn't the grass be starting to brown and rivers looking like glass by now?????

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
My dad has an old garcia michell 300 that I've tried to beg borrpw and steal to no avail! Dad told me to just wait till he wells it to me.

I found one in a pawn shop that will work for now, but Dads is in mint condition.

They are like robert little wenches!

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Nice rod osg! I have been using a BPS Microlite Classic in the creeks, which is a slow glass rod too. Yours is the real deal though. I agree they are awesome for throwing little tiny offerings since they kind of load themselves.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Nice!!

I had a Garcia Mitchell 300 forever and loved it; it was crushed when a roll of tar paper fell on it in my Mom’s shed. Broke the rod too but I wasn’t quite as heartbroken about that. I think my brother still has a Garcia Mitchell 208.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I still have a pair of Ted Williams rods, purchased at Sears back in the 1960's. They are far from being my primary rods, but they still have reels attached and are in my arsenal.

All I wanted when I was a kid was a Mitchell 300. Finally, after saving up my nickles and dimes the big day arrived. I took it out fishing that afternoon, made a few casts, said "this thing sucks," sold it, and haven't used a spinning reel since.

I've graduated from the push-button spincast era to being a bait caster guy most of my life. I have no regrets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts