Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,056 Posts

John, Chaunc and myself left the ramp at 6:30am and went 330* out of the harbor. i didnt have any idea where to go this being my first trip out of bula this season. my lowrance crapped out on me the day before at mosquito lake, so i didnt even have any way points from past trips. everyone i talked to over the last week gave me a general area and said the fish had lockjaw unless you ran meat. c'mon... im a dipsy and spoonman:p. i know if you run meat, you will be rebaiting often, call me lazy, but i just cant stand catching all those non-target fish:D. we headed to the 04 line. the marks were there and we couldnt get anything going but a sheephead/white perch program.lol. so we headed to the boat pack and then elsewhere and then elsewhere and then elsewhere, well you get it. we picked at them all day and we only found one area that we got more than one walleye. Chaunc's spoon harnesses got 2 nice walleye in about 2 minutes. it was at 05/53 and we went back thru it 3 times without catching anything else. it was slow to say the least, stingers took most of the walleye, spoon harnesses did take their share, i ran one for about 30 minutes until i had to rebait 3 times then a stinger went back on. i ran a board with a RR800 at 200 with 3oz snap weight 50ft up from the bait all day that didnt get a sniff, i also ran a forest gump harness for a little bit that caught a steelhead and a couple white perch. our best program was a big dipsy 3.5 setting at 212-242 out. our second best was a big dipsy 0 setting at 92-112 out. yep they were DEEP. spoon harnesses were mi-ti and mixed veggies, stingers were blue edge, gold mellon and double orange crush. speed was 2.8 to 3.4 and by the sounds of all the complaining on the radio, we did pretty good. we put 14 in the box plus one steelhead. it was a great day out on the lake with good friends and the weather was perfect. on a positive note, 8 of our keepers were under 20" so the future is looking pretty good to me:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Good job Tom,glad you found some.that has been our season one here and one there,scattered all over.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nice job! Happy to hear someone's still using spoons out there. We've been having as much, if not better, luck with them as harnesses lately.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the report. Chaunc is always a fun time on the boat...no doubt! I was all fired up yesterday morning when a chicken wing spoon pulled the first fish, but it went dead from there and it wasn't long before it was replaced with another piece of meat. Good fishing to ya!

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,486 Posts
Looking good guys.... you'd look better with that Buffalo Bill fishing partner! :)
Thanks for the report

·
Mongo
515 Posts
Ezbite, I was just behind you when you launched and I should have come over and talked with you as I met you a few years ago when you were testing your boat at Mosquito and I was washing walleye nets. We launched about 4 behind you in the 18 foot Fisher as I was getting everything ready. We struggled in the morning as we went to the area that we got fish the last time. We marked great and pulled 3 oz inline and 50 tru trip jets. Pulled 1 29" beauty and lost 2 on the 50 jet and had white perch bonanza in 73 into 70 feet NW of the ramp. Moved north and east and switched up the program many times until we found fish at 12pm and it was on. Went 11 for 26 the next 1 1/2 hours until we had our limit. It was saddening when we hit 12 as the fish were on fire for us and it was fun having many doubles and even triples each pass. The fish were moving up in the water column as we were marking fish at 40 feet the last pass. We ended up with three over 29" with the rest great 25+ to finish up. Double willows in Muffin and Blueberry muffin and another color I don't know the name of along with pulling shallow thunder stick jr. in chrom/black and shad was the ticket. Dipsys set at number 1 back 100' and a number 2 back 135' was the ticket. The best area for us was 12.3 straight north of the harbor. I wish I would have come over and talked but you were busy getting set up and so was I. I would have also like to meet your crew as they were also getting everything to your boat. I will definitely talk with you next time I see you there.

·
Mongo
515 Posts

Here is the pick of our fish ready to eat and also the colors that have been working for us. The Colorado in Blueberrie Muffin has been great as you can see and I don't know what the color name is for the pink colorado blade. Does anyone know? The others have also been great and they are Muffin and Blueberrie Muffin Willows and I don't know the name of the purple and blue blade but it has been good latley. The bead patter that is shown has been the best all year for me in both blade types and the Thunder stickes worked great last time out.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
ok mongo, now im pissed.lol. we could of networked:D we ran renoskys without a pull back. how are you running the thundersticks? dipsys? man yell out at me next time and ill come meet you. by the way, whats the color of the back of that colorado :D

·
Mongo
515 Posts
We were running the Thunder sticks on 10 foot leads behind dipsys. I switched to them after a friend called me from Conny and they were on there way in with 36 most which came on wire and 24 bombers in the same two colors. The blueberrie muffin colorado has a chart back and the pink with purple is all pink front and back. The blue and purple willow has a silver back and the other two willows are chart backed. Chart backed has worked best so far this year. I ran spoons for a long while but I don't think we were going fast enough like you, our best speen was 1.9 to 2.2. My buddy was running 2.5 but I couldn't get that to work for us. Once we got on the fish we didn't catch any junk at all on worms and the Thunder sticks took all of our big fish and they really ate them deep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts