close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vib-"E" Special

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by Corey, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

0   0   0

Shortdrift contacted me a while ago and asked if I would put together a selection or "kit" of Vib-"E"s for OGF members. Here's what I have come up with. I put together 4 Kits; 2 of 1/2 ounce and 2 of 1/4 ounce Vib-"E"s, one of each size for clear water situations and one each for off color water. They are packaged 9 lures to a Kit, in Bass Pro Shops utility boxes. If I were to take a phone order here at the shop, figure sales tax and shipping, the cost of the utility box and lures would total $40.72. I've worked out the price for OGF members to total $32.00. This covers everything, including shipping. OGF customers can pick and choose colors or sizes, but these are the ones I chose from my experience.

Clear water:

Metalic Gold
    Chrome
    Shiner
    Chrome/Chartreuse
    Gold/Chartreuse
    Gold/Orange
    Gold/Green
    Gold Tiger
    Chrome/Blue

Off Color Water:

Chartreuse Tiger
    Firetiger
    Chartreuse/Fire Head
    Chartreuse/Lime Head
    Glow/Fire Head
    Lime Flash
    Black/Chartreuse
    Gold/Chartreuse
    Chartreuse Shad

As you can see, I think the Gold/Chartreuse can go either way. Other color choices are:

White/Red Head
    Black Shad
    Blue Shad
    Gold/Black
    Silver/Black

Other sizes are 1/8, 3/16, 3/8, & 3/4 ounce.
    Any OGF member can contact me by phone at 740-922-0841 (Be sure to mention OGF!) or by e-mail at Cripple_Creek@att.net (Don't forget the underscore)

2. Shortdrift

Shortdrift

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

That is a darn nice selection and a great price. :cool: Do you take "Gently Used" Vibee's in trade, say 3 for 1? :rolleyes: ;) :D Lewis and I are chomping at the bit to get down and do some open water fishing.

3. atrkyhntr

atrkyhntr Guest

0   0   0

I resemble that remark!!!
    GREAT deal there Corey THANKS!!!

4. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

0   0   0

Jim,

I need to purchase a few more Hopkins spoons. Do you have any kits?

Clear water
    silver

Muddy water
    silver

other choices
    silver

I'll probably stop by tomorrow(Friday), will you be there

5. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

0   0   0

I was one up on you Lundy!..
    I placed my spoon order last week! :D

6. Corey

0   0   0

Kim, I can make up Hopkins Kits if you want. Silver, lol. I have 46 color/size Hopkins selections in stock. I really can't give a Hopkins price cuz they vary so much in cost according to style and size. Pick out colors & sizes in either 9 or 5 packs and I'll give you an OGF price. I carry Shotry's in 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4, in both Gold and Silver. I have No=Eqls in 1/3, 1/2, and 3/4 in the same, along with the No=Eql Plus which have Chartreuse reflective tape on one side and Red on the other. I carry Smoothies in both Gold and Silver, in 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 in the split prizm colors Blue/Silver, Chartreuse/ Silver, and Green/Silver.
    I have also made up some 5 lure Vib-"E" Kits. Same deal as far as color/size choices. You pick 'em. Total OGFer cost for the 5 lure Kits will be $18.00. These are also in Bass Pro utility boxes.

7. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

0   0   0

whats a hopkins spoon?

ive never heard of them. :confused:

can you post a pic?

8. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

0   0   0

They are a dimpled finish, jigging spoon.
    Look at Corey's banner ad..there is a Hopkins in there.

9. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

0   0   0

10. All Eyes

All Eyes

0   0   0

What method of tying on to both the hopkins and vibees is preferred as far as connector snap ring etc. and do you guys fish mainly with florocarbon lines?

11. Corey

0   0   0

Use a round nosed snap, like a Duo-Loc. It allows the lure to vibrate or swing freely. Don't use a snap swivel. If you have problems with line twist, tie in a swivel about a foot to eighteen inches above the lure. Most of the anglers I fish with have gone through just about every line type or combination over the years, trying to find the optimum, setup for spoons and bladebaits. Myself, Lewis, Tonto, Shortdrift, and others have all come to about the same end; super line for the main line with a Fluorocarbon leader, attached to the main line with a double Uni knot. I use 10# Fireline for my main line and 10-12# F;luoro for the leader. The super line allows for great sensitivity and hooksetting power, especially when you've got a lot of line out. We use a long leader, up to 20 feet. This length of leader helps to slow the fall of the lure, especially a spoon, and it gives you at least some stretch to act as a shock absorber. The long leader allows for the connecting knot to be securely wound up on the reel spool when you've got a big fish at the boat.

12. All Eyes

All Eyes

0   0   0

Thanks Jim!!! I can`t remember the brand name right now, but I tried a vibee wanna-be that I found at Gander Mountain a couple of years back, that had a clasp already on it. I thought it would be convienient. It didn`t twist or hang, but found it to be too much hardware and snap-swivel looking. For some reason, I struggle with putting those stupid rings on and have opened them up too far and stretched them before. I prefer as small a ring as possible and even though it sounds pathetic, I hate putting them on. Even though I`ve gotten much better at it, it would be nice for boneheads like myself if they came pre rigged. Thanks for the info on the line and leaders. I`ve never tried as long a leader as you recomend, and will have to give it a shot.

13. Corey

0   0   0

Stay away from split rings on bladebaits!! Their use will compound the problem of fouling. A "round nosed snap", like a Duo-Loc, with no swivel, clipped directly into a connection hole in the lure is recommended. On bladebaits that come with split rings attached from the manufacturer I always remove them immediately. The same problem arrises if the hooks are connected to the lure using split rings. Good luck out there this season!!!!

14. All Eyes

All Eyes

0   0   0

Jim, thanks for that info. I have been using split rings and will switch to the ones you recomended. I always thought that they would have a tendancy to bind or possibly snag the hooks, plus just the size has always made me leary. I looked at some of the duo-locks on Cabelas site, and they seem to be of a pretty non-menacing small guage wire. I will defenitely give them a shot.

15. Corey

0   0   0

They are not going to completely eliminate fouling, only minimize it. Fouling is caused by a combination of things; the body style of the bladebait or spoon, the type of line, type of hardware, and the physical actions of the angler. Certain body styles tent to catch water and flip the lure on the fall. Limp superlines allow the lure to fall too fast and flip over easily, which is one reason for using leaders if you use superlines. Excessive hardware, like a split ring for the line attachment and split rings for hook attachment allow too much swing and extend away from the lure body enough to increase the probability of fouling. Just "dumping" slack on the downstroke or too aggressive an upstroke also increases that chance. There's a group of guys who have come up with an attachment that incorporates a short wire at the line attachment. They say this works well for them . Maybe someone here can offer more info on this method.

16. All Eyes

All Eyes

0   0   0

Thanks again for the tips Jim. When it comes to catching saugeye/walleye, I really like good information. Especially pertaining to specific lakes as upposed to general info. You seem to be the go-to guy for that from what I can tell. I only keep enough for the frying pan, but I sure do enjoy fishing for them. I have more to learn in order to be consistant, but I`m happy just to catch a few for me belly. I don`t like to keep anything under about 18 inches, so 2 or 3 fish in the livewell is a great day when not fishing Lake Erie. I just like the peacfull calmer waters at Atwood/Piedmont better and find it a lot more relaxing. Especially in a small boat with a 9.9! :eek: Thanks again, and good luck this year!!!

17. Pete Moss

Pete Moss

0   0   0

Corey, do you carry duolocks at your store? I have been wanting to come down for quite awhile now.

18. Corey

0   0   0

Yep, I carry them in both nickel and black in #'s 1, 2, 3, & 4.

19. All Eyes

All Eyes

0   0   0

I will have to make a trip down to Cripple Creek Bait this spring and load up.
    May be even get a few pointers while I`m there! :D I need some vibees and hopkins spoons and plan to hit Peidmont sometime after ice off. It won`t be long now! Woo-Hoo!

20. Corey

0   0   0

Yep, I'm ready!!