VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chaunc, Jun 20, 2008.

1. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Is there a way for me to transfer these tapes from my old collection to DVD?
    [​IMG]
    Dont have a VCR anymore and i think i'll understand these videos a lot more since i've been learning here on the site.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Sure is...you can do it yourself if you have the hardware (a vid card that has composite/RCA inputs, with vid capturing software) or you can pay for a 3rd party to do it.

If it's a one shot deal, it might be cheaper to pay someone to do it rather than buy the equipment if you dont have it already. I think most camera (Cord Camera, etc..) stores offer that kind of service. Hardest part is getting it off VHS onto your pc. From there it's real easy to convert/burn to DVD.

3. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Dont know what that first part is.:confused: but that third party deal sounds good. Not worried about the download to computer thing. I have a DVD player built into the TV i bought last christmas. How do i go about finding the stores you said can do the work?

4. Pike

Pike

You can buy a DVD recorder from Sams for about $220. I use one at work, it has a slot for VHS tapes. You can also record from TV, and put whatever you capture on a vido camera directly on to a DVD. I am sure Best Buy and the like sell them as well.

Pike

5. Chaunch Just bought a Panasonic DVD-VHS recorder 2 days ago my old vhs died.The thing i found out when i went to look for a new vhs player was the name of the game has changed.when yuo buy a new DVD-VHS recorder they dont come with the UHF VHF cable hookup on the back.You need to buy a adapter which is around $35 bucks you can get the recorder for about $100.00 bucks .But if you ever wanted to record a tv show these dont have a tuner so here we go $299.00 at Circuit City or $277.00 at Sams Club this one does everything Transfers VHS to DVD DVD to VHS Digital tuner SD card reader dvd video ram DVD RW/R compact disc digital audio ram recorder and a couple other features like to blew my mind but i bought it anyway.What you also need to look at is how much it is going to cost you to have them transferd.If is to costly then put the money in a new recorder and do it your self so there is a plus to buying a new unit then you can do it all that is why i bought this recorder.I also want to transfer a bunch of VHS to DVD hope this helps you . Tight Lines Fishguy

6. if it has a copyright protection you wont be abe to do it , and i dont think a store will either lol just my 2 cents worth

7. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Seems quite a bit too complicated for me. Anybody want to buy some tapes?

8. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Senior Member

Call Office Max, they should be able to give you a price over the phone....Pete

9. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

You could probably just pick up a VCR for a few bucks at a garage sale or second hand store.

10. Chauncy: I'd be interested in buying a couple of them that i don't have. Would you mail them as long as i cover postage?

11. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Neighbor gave me a VCR.

12. JOE W ...is right if they have a built in blocker...you can"t copy....I have a DVD and VHS player built in one...years ago when I was working I had a friend that copied some that had the blocker built in ...a friend of his had a machine that overrode the blocker...The part that killed me I tried to copy the VHS tapes to DVD and guess what ...the blocker was in the VHS Tapes he copied for me...Good luck trying to get them copied....
    :confused: ...GOOD FISHING GUYS

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  13. Lake Erie

Lake Erie Underwater View

chaunc,

I have a system I use for my Lake Erie underwater video project. My underwater video camera system is the old VHS-C format, so I copy my underwater video, which is shot on VHS tape, to my computer, edit it, then burn to a disc if I want. I can probably copy your tapes to DVD, or at least CD format.

Lake Erie
    Dave
    westbasin@cs.com

14. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

No need. I watched one this morning. Walleye live bait logics.:) Gonna try a bottom bouncer over here at shenango and see what i can do. Old tape but still good advice.

15. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

I was told by another member you was wanting your movies transfrered to DVD.man thats my line.I did some for quit a few others.and one my customers see you was in need same services.I got lot now that are from tapes to DVD.can do yours to if still in need.also I am in the under water camera stuff to.I video tape under water scenes mostly lake Erie.well let me know.by the way I dropped out this club. you sldom see me post here any more.a dead member to rest world.