VHS disease

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bassmaniac, Jun 26, 2008.

1. bassmaniac

bassmaniac Fish now, sleep later

I just heard rumers recently that VHS was discovered in Clear Fork Reservoir. Anyone else hear this?

2. That is true! They found it in a Musky.

3. One of my coworkers said he read yesterday that they found it in the Mohican river too.

4. for the last several years after a fishin trip I come back home and clean out livewell and bilge areas to keep from spreading weeds,vhs,zebras. catch and release now makes a livewell additive( in white bottle with white label, page 391 in Bass Pro Shops2008 master catalog) that kills pathogens. I encourage all anglers to take the time and clean livewells,baitwells,bilge areas and we can help control this problem

5. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

Heading to Erie and certainly don't want to bring back any hitchhikers... would bleach/water in a spray bottle kill off most anything nasty?!?!

6. Kinda almost correct. I believe your coworker was discussing the same detection discussed here. Clear Fork Reservoir is so named because it is on the Clear Fork of the Mohican River. I don't believe there have been any inland detections outside of the reservoir itself.

7. lawrence1

lawrence1 Master Tangler

Get em now before they bleed to death.

8. There's been a lot of stuff spread by anglers not cleaning livewells etc. Zebra mussels are in a lot of lakes brought in from Erie

9. Eugene,
    I haven't seen alot of information just yet on what we need to do to prevent the spread.
    Do you have anything to share?

10. If I understand correctly, VHS found in Clearfork effects only musky and perch.

11. The "skeptical" part was totally accurate, Andy. Consider the recent detections in Ohio--yellow perch in a big way in the central basin of Lake Erie in both 2007 and 2008 (that work is being done by Case Western Reserve University) and muskie in Clear Fork in 2008 (and muskie are supposed to be some of the most susceptible to mortality from VHS)--and still there have been no documented large wild kills in Ohio since spring 2006.

Coon Shark, the VHS virus in Clear Fork is still type IVb. It was only found in muskie there this spring, but that strain of the virus is still very plastic and has the potential to infect any of the dozens of susceptible species if conditions are right.

It might interest you to know that the USFWS and I, contracted by the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture-Division of Animal Industry, were sampling Clear Fork with electrofishing gear on the very same day the ODNR-Division of Wildlife trapnetted their muskie that tested positive. Our VHS-susceptible catch included brown bullhead, bluegill, pumpkinseed, largemouth bass, and yellow perch. All those samples tested negative using both cell culture (which is required for a VHS-positive declaration) and polymerase chain reaction (which is much more sensitive) techniques.

12. PS: If you combine the quotes the author gives to me with those given to Jill Rolland, I think that is a wholly realistic assessment of Ohio's VHS situation.