close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

VHF Radio question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShakeDown, Nov 30, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Headed to TN in March with a bunch of guys (lookin like we'll have atleast 6-7 boats), and was wondering about the reliability of VHF radios in that environment. My only exposure to VHF stuff is on Lake Erie, where my 5w handheld does just fine, but then again it's a straight shot to whoever we're talking to.

What can I expect when we're in TN and a few miles apart from each other in coves, back behind those tall bluffs? We used 2-way walkie talkies last year, which were great as long as you could see the other boat you were talking to. Should we expect that same type of performance with the VHF's?

Thanks!

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

you may have trouble around the high ground areas. even cell phones have trouble in southern ohio.8ft antennas might give you a small advantage.

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Expect about a 50-60% loss of range. With an 8ft. antenna you'll get anywhere from 7-10 miles if the terrain is really steep and in close like up in a cove. It can be better if in open water like a main river channel.

4. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

my exp. in TN with these is that they don't work nearly as well as they do on erie. You're better off using your cell phones.

5. ShakeDown

Our cells actually got pretty good reception on DH last year. Just hard to talk with 12 guys at a time ;)

6. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

well if you'd learn to keep your mouth shut and not BRAG every time you put a fish in the boat... ;)

7. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

"Can you hear me now" ? "Good"

8. ShakeDown

Buddy, If I'm catching them then I owe it to the world to LET THEM KNOW ABOUT IT! :D

Ever have the experience of VHF'in with Shortdrift? Talk about a talker :D

9. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

just use a CB.. :D if you must brag.. :p

10. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Yeah Shake. I recall hearing Shorty broadcast that he caught a 6 inch smelt when we were out! :D :p ;)