close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vex question

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by crooked stripe, Feb 23, 2005.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

Has anyone used one on soft water in a boat? I see in the info that you can but see nothing in the adds on a mount for the boat. There has to be some way to hold the transducer in a fixed position while motoring around. Then cone angle, do you need one larger or smaller or does the 19 degree work well when moving? I would like to use my vex along with my eagle finder.
    I think the vex would be nice to through in my canoe for a fast trip to the lake. John

2. You can get a boat conversion kit which includes a mounting bracket, new transducer and transducer mounting parts. I got mine through The Rodmakers Shop and it was around $55.

3. cw261

cw261 Member

I also have the conversion kit on my boat. Go to the Vexilar site - they have tons of information on the pros and cons of the various transducer cone angles, as well as the available kits:

http://www.vexilar.com/products/flashers.html

You can even download the instructions for the conversion kit to see what is involved before you buy it.

4. crooked stripe

Thanks Shortdrift. Did you get the high speed kit? I looked it up at Cabelas and there is many choices. Have a new vex so I don't think I need the up grade kit do I? There price is 69 bucks. John

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

my opinion is in the minority but when ive used the vex on a boat (both with the proper mounted transducer and also just using the ice ducer) i didnt like it, the vex is too sensitive... "too" good....

too much crap going on to make heads or tails of anything....definitely not like using it on the ice.

seems like other guys do like it though, good luck with it.

6. crooked stripe

Thanx cw261 for the site. I did a lot of reading and now I'am not sure what I want to do. There are so many choices. I need more time reading the vex to make a reliable decision on what to do. Thanks for the openions, I appreciate them. John

7. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Do you have the 18? I cant remember....if you do then you have the BL (bottom lock) which is what you would switch it onto in the canoe.

Then the vex reading/display holds steady instead of bobbing up and down with the wave action of the water and boat.

If you want to try to use the ice ducer on the canoe, ive done it before with no real problems (anchored! :p ). You just have to be real careful with the cable. Its meant to be pliable when ice cold so its real limp and could be damaged easier in warm weather. And dont let the ducer bang into the bottom of the boat too much. (been there :rolleyes: ) that way you can see if the cone angle you have is what you would want for a mounted ducer.

Bear in mind that the currents of soft water will play a bit (or a lot) more havoc with keeping your bait visible on the vex screen. May have to set the vex towards the bow and fish off the stern, or port/starboard, etc....to see the bait. Or it may be ok straight down. you get what im trying to say...you might have to play with the gain a lot more (turning it up more than you would on the ice) to be able to see your bait.

of course if you just want to use it as a depth/fish finder then none of that matters.

good luck.

8. Unlike the LCD Sonar which shows you a delayed picture, the Vex is a super tool for instantaneous readout of structure/contour. The Vex can be difficult to read in mildly choppy water and darn near impossible in higher waves.
    Don't expect to get a good idea of fish availability with the Vex unless you are stationary as the instantaneous display is rapidly changing when moving. I have used the Vex for precise following of coutours or breaks but it does take a fair amount of learning compared to the LCD Sonar units.
    You may want to consider a economy portable unit for use on your canoe. They are now available for less than $100 and they do a respectable job. I have both type units on my boat and have used them both at once depending on the situation. Hope this gives you some additional food for thought. :)

9. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I put the ice-ducer on the floor of my fiberglass boat with a little water, which is usually there anyway. Shoots right through the hull and works well even at high speed. I have also done the same thing in a rented aluminum boat and that worked OK as a depth finder. They make a transducer especially for shooting through aluminum hulls (Alumaducer, I think).

10. I have used my Vex year around for many years. I've installed the ice ducer to my stern by screwing a length of pvc pipe, (l-brackets) next to the outboard. I lower the ice ducer down the pipe which extends into the water. The pipe holds the ducer straight up and down. I also installed a lower unit ducer to my bow mount. I can read either bow or stern mount by the flip of a switch. The ice ducer is an excellent high speed device. I just assume any mid depth marks are fish. It's far better to know instantly what's under the boat instead of what's behind the boat. The bow mount ducer I use for vertically jigging, same with stern mount when anchored. When vert jigging and using very light, (ultra/micro), baits, boat sway can cause problems keeping the bait in the sonar cone depending on severity of sway. It's little/no prob. with heavier baits. I 'ice fish' open water all the time by vert jigging. It works as well then as through the ice. A bottom lock would be handy, but my FL-8 isn't equipped with one so I've learned to adjust to choppy conditions without it. It's not that big a deal.