Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Akron
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out today and seen a spooked school of baitfish. First cast of the day and I hooked something very large. I chased it for one hour at full speed on my trolling motor with the rod doubled in two. I was able to land my first loon with the help of another boater manning the net. It was snagged in the foot. I removed the hook and released it. I do not know who was more wore out, me or the loon.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was shore fishing at Mosqutoe and had one eat my minnow. He started flying and broke my line. Good thing he only broke off the leader hook.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Got out today and seen a spooked school of baitfish. First cast of the day and I hooked something very large. I chased it for one hour at full speed on my trolling motor with the rod doubled in two. I was able to land my first loon with the help of another boater manning the net. It was snagged in the foot. I removed the hook and released it. I do not know who was more wore out, me or the loon.
Now that’s funny! :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
There were some in the bay by the new launch ramp at Mog during that fish-a-poloosa in early April! Sure they were there due to the huge number of fish that were in the bay and must not be too afraid of humans since there was a huge mass of fishermen there. Also, they frequently made their eerie calls which was cool to hear in Ohio!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Took the wife on an near shore charter near Clearwater last April. Fished near a sanctuary bird island and she hooked a seagull type bird. Captain throw a towel over it, removed the hook and quickly released it. I told him how well he handled it and he said those are easy ones. “The OSPREY are the tough ones”!

·
Akron
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I’m curious if it was just chillin while you took the hook out or was he spazing out? I know them are pretty big.
After spazing out for an hour it was very calm once in the net. It did perk up when I released it from the net though.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I actually "landed" a seagull off the Ashtabula breakwall. Had a hell of a time getting the treble hooks out of his beak. He hit a #7 Shadrap. Glad my brother-in-law was there, don't think I could have handled him myself, big angry bird...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I caught and released a gull at Atwood several years ago. It was trying to fly but could not get off the water. When I got closer it had a plastic bag around its leg that was filled with water. I netted it and carefully removed the bag and turned it loose. It was not happy when I had it in the net.

·
STX 206 Viper
1,873 Posts
We were catching a bunch of small walleye in Canada and as we got them close to the boat they would get attacked by what we thought was a pike. When we finally got a good look at the attacker, it was a loon. He’d lurk off to the side, then dive when we had a fish on.

·
Registered
577 Posts
There’s something weird about hooking anything other than a fish! Lol
I had a bullfrog snatch a top water bait once and about threw up pulling hooks out.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Using live shrimp while fishing the Gulf Coast about 20 years ago I caught not one but two dang seagulls on the same fishing trip. They would hit your bait as you cast. Both released with no major problems. One I am glad broke off was on the Maumee during the run a couple years back. As I cast two geese flying by and dropped down with my line catching one. Spooled my 15lb test braid, luckly my 12lb leader broke.

Reactions: swone

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Gators are fun to catch too down in Florida. They are like grass carp. Explosive at first but wear out very quickly. Wish I could post a video.

·
Johnny tsunami
3,706 Posts
Casting out at pymi years ago my hot n tot was t boned by a gull and got hooked that thing nose dived and almost ripped my pole out of my hand I thought it died but the tot popped off when it blasted into the water and just flew away..... Stupid birds!

·
Akron
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This loon was under the water chasing bait fish and I snagged it in the foot. I have also snagged a very large snapping turtle at Mogadore as well as several 50ish grass carp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts