Very important youth Question

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by big_mike, Dec 14, 2008.

1. My brother has to work next weekend and his 13 year old son wants to go gun hunting with me. He has his apprentice Youth License and Deer Tag. I need to know if I can hunt at the same time as the youth as long as it is not a youth hunt? It doen't say anything in the book about this and I don't want any suprises. I need to let him know ASAP. Thanks for your help. When it comes to the Youth side of hunting, I don't know much.

Big Mike

2. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I don't think there are any restrictions about you hunting except you must accompany him as defined.

From the DNR site

To hunt or trap, apprentice license and permit holders must be accompanied by a licensed hunter or trapper 21 years of age or older.

Accompany means to go along with another person while staying within a distance from the person that enables uninterrupted, unaided visual and auditory communications.

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Sure you can hunt, as long as it isn't the 'youth' season.

Page 26 of the regs state 'hunters age 15 and under and those of any age hunting with an apprentice license must be accompanied by an adult. See page 30 for definition of accompany'

page 30 definition of accompany-'means to go along with another person while staying within a distance from the person that enables uninterrupted, unaided visual and auditory communications.'

4. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Yep, you can hunt. Its no different than if you took a kid duck or bunny hunting.:)

5. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Everyone's correct. Take them out and have fun. Be safe and good luck.