Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have forgotten how to catch fish!!

Long story short. I had my mother up from TX and she fished with me for 3 days.

In those 3 days we caught a grand total of 6, yes 6, keeper walleye.

We only fished for short times and could only run 2 rods but I should have done better, I expected to do better. Everyone was catching fish but us.

We caught 8 zillion white bass and sheephead and 8-10 under size walleye. We fished in close and out to 46 fow. I was on fish the entire time and just couldn't make it happen.

Anyway, not looking for advice, just crying in my beer, a little self pity.:D

I had a weekend like this last year also.

My you never experience a slump like I had this weekend.

You are now free to make fun of me:)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Waaaaaah! Waaaaaah! Waaaaaah!

Glad that never happens to me. Oh! Wait! It has! You tend to forget these things when they happen!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Lundy ,

Your gonna destroy them next week!!! we all go throught that.... thats how we learn right???

the fish were afaid of ya...

some times we all over analize and fish too hard.. and forget ...its just fishin... @ least your and your Mom were out to gether fishing ! that s the important part!

you'll get them buddy ... YOU always do!

FRank

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts
I think all of us has been there. It makes those days when you slam em' even more special. No fish or not I'm sure you had a great time out there with your Mother !

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
We caught 8 zillion white bass and sheephead and 8-10 under size walleye. We fished in close and out to 46 fow.
The old bear reared it's head, eh...! It be's that way from time to time...as Frank said, you did get to spend some time with Mom's...it don't get much better then that.
Also, the 8-10 under sized walleye is good news. I've picked up a few of those myself this year. I'm thinking 2004 fish...!

BTW...you'll get'em next time.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,461 Posts
Hey that's why they call it fishing not catching. man, one day this spring I was fishing right behind my buddy trolling they took a 29, 30 and a 31 and had 8 others, I HAD ZERO FISH. I was like WTF that's the way it goes sometimes. makes you wonder sometimes doesn't it.

Always next time and I'm sure it was fun anyways.

By the way you want some cheese with that wine. OOOOOOOOO LOl Jk

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Dump that beer full of tears....I'll buy ya a fresh one.

Nobody is saying it...........but everyone is thinking it. Some people are a jinx to fish with. I'll go no further. lol

·
Premium Member
10,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way you want some cheese with that wine. OOOOOOOOO LOl Jk
Yes!
Limburger would probably be the most appropriate;) I sure hope a do Gouda this week:D

I did have fun all weekend, and she really didn't care what she caught, she was busy reeling in junk non stop. She also got to take back a cooler full of walleye filet's that I already had.

You guys take your best shot, I can take it:D

·
Wanting Walleye
552 Posts
Your not alone my friend.I took my grandaughter out on Saturday and fished from 9.00am till 9.00pm and came in with five fish,two 2lbs.,one 3lb.,one 4.4lb.,and a very nice 6lb.and went through ten dozen crawlers to get them so you don't have to tell me about the white bass and sheephead.

Yesterday,my partner and I got out about 2.00pm after some problems with the boat and fished till 9.00pm and got two keepers at 2 and 3lbs and released two fish that were 14" using another three dozen crawlers.

Needless to say,at least the white bass and sheephead aren't going hungry.

All in all though,being a drifter and having to cast all weekend to get any action,catching six out of the seven myself,I feel pretty darn good with myself for being able to weed through the garbage and still put some nice fish in the freezer.;)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
We also had it somewhat tough. Part of the problem was the great number of white bass takig the spoons right away. Another was that the fish were not spread out as before, they were more packed together in different areas, so you were either on them or not. We had to make drastic changes in order to put fish in the boat.

Tight Lines!

Fish-Crazy: Virgil

·
Walleye Killer
507 Posts
Where did you guys fished? I fished a couple of miles NW of the Vermilion river on Saturday, and 2 of us had limit by noon. We casted worm harnesses- I don't understand why everyone trolls when the Walleye are that hot on the cast---a-lot more sporting!!!!

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
NOT giving advice, just passing along some info. Son and friend fished the crib area Sunday most of the day. Just w-b and s-h, no eyes! Seems they were fishing the dypsy/spoons too shallow and too slow. Only had 40-70 ft. of line out on the sz. 1 dypsys. They hear on the rad. that the hook-ups are coming at 100-140 on the 3 and 3.5 setting @ 2+ mph. Lightbulbs go off-they re-program. Limited in 2 hours!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Sometimes you think you forgot how to catch them. Two times out in last couple weeks, three walleye total. Saturday 12 fish limit. (actually 13) But had to work for them. Caught some off stadium and circled around the crib for a few more and finished up in about 47' of water south of crib. Lost 4 more near boat Had to throw back a 14". Have not seen many of those unfortunately. Large spoons early, smaller spoons late. I used a variety of colors early including red, green, and a copper confusion. Went small later using Ole pete's copper with just a bit of color. White Bass were pesky. Must of caught 30 of them.

I am trying to go Tuesday evening.

Good luck to all.

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
Quote "You guys take your best shot, I can take it"

You need to sell your boat and all of your tackle and take up tiddlee winks---you have no business being on the water anymore...not on your boat or any others...you will just pass on your bad karma to those around you!!! You no good for nothing poor excuse for an angler...may as well throw in the OGF towel too!! Since you will no longer be able to contribute any meaningful teachings or tips on how to improve one's success, you may as well scrap it all!!! :S :S

Did I hammer you enough there Kim...I was trying to sound mean and really take a shot at ya...but I (and everyone else) know you will get back out there and slay them the next time around! ;)

Oh yeah, stop crying in your beer and drink faster...the pain of the bad few days will fade away faster...I have to do it almost every trip out so I know first hand how to deal with slow days!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I hear that happens to a lot of guys (but not me, of course):eek:

Seriously, I was wondering about myself this weekend. I fished Thursday (once the lake laid down enough) through Sunday out of Cranberry and the walleye took a little figuring out. They seemed to be on and off, here and there. I had a boat partner that didn't know the first thing about trolling but very expectant that I would put him on fish--now I know how the charter captains must feel at times.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Well, you got all the wrong advice like; You shoulda fished Cleveland, or Lorain, or Western Basin, or cast instead of troll. etc, etc!!!:eek:
What you did was exactly what was correct.......sat there and gave the skunk time to get off your back!:D I'm sure your mom enjoyed being with you whether you caught fish or not.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts