close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

very bad gun bill in congress for owners

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by freyedknot, Feb 21, 2009.

1. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

Very Important for you to be aware of a new bill HR 45 introduced into the House.

This is the Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act of 2009.

We just learned yesterday about this on the Peter Boyles radio program.

Even gun shop owners didn't know about this because it is flying under the radar.

To find out about this - go to any government website and type in HR 45 or Google HR 45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009. You will get all the information.

Basically this would make it illegal to own a firearm - any rifle with a clip or ANY pistol unless:

·It is registered

·You are fingerprinted

·You supply a current Driver's License

B You supply your Social Security #

·You will submit to a physical & mental evaluation at any time of their choosing

·Each update - change or ownership through private or public sale must be reported and costs $25 - Failure to do so you automatically lose the right to own a firearm and are subject up to a year in jail.

·There is a child provision clause on page 16 section 305 stating a child-access provision. Gun must be locked and inaccessible to any child under 18.

They would have the right to come and inspect that you are storing your gun safely away from accessibility to children and fine is punishable for up to 5 yrs. in prison.

If you think this is a joke - go to the website and take your pick of many options to read this. It is long and lengthy. But, more and more people are becoming aware of this. Pass the word along. Any hunters in your family - pass this along.

Peter Boyles is on this and having guests. Listen to him on KHOW 630 a.m. in the morning. He suggests the best way to fight this is to tell all your friends about it and "spring into action". Also he suggests we all j oin a pro-gun group like the Colorado Rifle Association, hunting associations, gun clubs and especially the NRA.

This is just a "termite" approach to complete confiscation of guns and disarming of our society to the point we have no defense - chip away a little here and there until the goal is accomplished before anyone realizes it.

This is one to act on whether you own a gun or not.

2. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

I am spreading the word as we speak
    If this gets passed :rolleyes: :(

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009

3. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

please take away my means of protecting my family. i dont' want it.

i freakin hate the government.
    they take my money and give it to poor lazy people and now they're taking away my right to protect myself.

whoever said the bill of rights was to limit the government is a LAIR!! GARR!!!

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

let's keep on topic,and do not start name dropping or escelating this thread to the level that will shut it down.i know this is a touchy subject for all of us,but let's try to not start the old liberal/conservative blame letting,etc,which will no doubt will only invite more pot shots,causing things go KABOOM.

5. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

sorry, not saying liberal or conservative. just government in general.

6. I think they should base it on age and your past history/record. What would we have done without firearms 50 yrs ago.

7. We would be speaking German....

I am passing the word about this to everyone I know. I did not know about it until now.

8. CDL

CDL

I'm not a hunter, nor am I a gun owner. However, after reading this bill, I see it as a direct assault on the 2nd amendment. Everyone I know will be made aware of this bill and the effects it could have on our society.

9. I think the economy is so bad right now and has a lot of peoples attention. No one thinks about these things when they are laid off, looking to be laid off, or looking for work.

These are the type of bills we really need to contact our reps. and senators about. Thank goodess my guy Latta is a hunter. I've seen him at the rossford bass pro 3 times. But he is definitly outnumbered in the house.:(

10. CDL

CDL

I did a little more reading and discovered something else that is scary. Mr. Eric Holder, our Attorney General, would have the power to make new regulations as he "determines to be reasonably necessary to reduce or prevent deaths or injury" (Sec. 402). So basically, the AG, a non-elected official, would get to decide what is reasonably necessary with no consultation with Congress or anybody else.

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

maybe it's time for people to organize another million man march on washington.everyone else does it,so why not honest citizens who are mad as hell,and are fed up with the constant attempts to infringe on our constitutional rights by a bunch of morons who's salary we pay:mad::mad:

12. Hate to be one who isn't all that worked up...but I agree with the below listed propositions (except the determination on how it is stored in my own home). If stored firearms need to be locked...fine, that will stop many thieves from taking them. If you've got them just laying around anywhere in your house it is an unsafe practice. There are lots of people with violent (DV, assault, etc.) charges that should preclude them from owning fire arms. I don't think gun show vendors and pawn shop owners care enough about selling firearms to unstable people. I've got a CCL and have a 9 yr old who can put 50 shots in a 10" circle at 25 feet, so I do disagree with the not having anyone under 18 have access. I'd let my son shoot an intruder in a moments notice and we've discussed what needs to be considered when making that decision. However, if he ends up having anger issues when he is older, he'll not be allowed near firearms. It should be that way with all people. If you can't control your temper (a way of determining this would be through a psychological evaluation) then you shouldn't have access to firearms. It is the details of such a proposition that will be sticky. I'm sure the normal response will be that the big, bad government will make the gun owner foot the bill...something that would not be held up very long. Also, using the broad term "government" when putting blame or aiming disgust is not very logical, since military members are "government", and so are "police" as well as other people on a local or federal pay scale.

I'd not hate the government, unless you don't drive (the government built the roads), or use electricity, or use a municipal water source, etc.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

well,we'll substitute politicians for "government" then,if that sound more politically correct.they are the part of government that makes the laws,while the other entities mentioned,are in the business of enforcing those laws.
    i personally can't imagine why a gun owner,especially a ccl holder wouldn't be "all that worked up" about what is being attempted.:confused:
    that kind of complacency is just what those people depend on to get their agenda through.

14. This is a great man. Jig. Please listen .
    [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_QjEL0uUgo[/nomedia]

15. For those concerned gun owners, there will be an IN DEPTH discussion of this topic next week on "INSIDE THE GREAT OUTDOORS radio show. We briefly hit on it this week, but next week there will be experts, an attorney talking about it.

I urge you to read up, contact your representatives, and listen next week.

16. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  17. I know its about power in #'s but it makes sense to lock guns,reg buyin and selling. How many times do you hear of some kid that took a gun to school or a kid shot a family member. Why! Because someone didnt think. If it keeps the guns off the street and out of kids reach then its for the good. Anymore than that wouldnt be acceptable. I sold my guns when my kids were born because of the things I did when I was young. I started hunting at 12. Got my cert of saftey at 14. Did I know the power of a firearm, no! It took till I was 18 to realize how easy it is to take a life. I will own another gun and will accept any test they can throw at me but if Im not allowed to own one Ill be the first on the hill! Will reg buying and selling do any good to keep them off the street? Doubt it! Just makes it tougher to bare a firearm. Go TEDDY!:p

18. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

Lets not forget, every lock has a key, a combination, or can be broken. Or opened by the owner being coerced, with a knife, perhaps?
    Here's a good link. It's to some statistics at the United States Department of Justice, and are the most recent numbers I could find from them.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm

If you don't want to go to it, I'll give you some quotes:

"Incidents involving a firearm represented 9% of the 4.7 million violent crimes of rape and sexual assault, robbery, and aggravated and simple assault in 2005.
    The FBI's Crime in the United States estimated that 66% of the 16,137 murders in 2004 were committed with firearms."

So, how are they going to regulate the other 44% of weapons? Licenses for baseball bats and knives?

"From 1993 through 1997, less than 1% of serious nonfatal violent victimizations resulted in gunshot wounds.
    The number of gunshot wounds from assaults treated in hospital emergency departments fell from 64,100 in 1993 to 39,400 in 1997, a 39% decline.
    According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from -
    a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
    a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
    family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%"

Remember, 1997 was after the Brady bill was passed in 1993, but, before credit is given to the Brady bill, it must be considered that ALL violent non-firearm crime dropped at roughly the same rate during the same period as well. Unfortunately, I can't find a breakdown of the last above quote, to tell of the 80%, how many got them through illegal means vs. family or friends, but, it is still obvious most illegal guns do not come from conventional outlets. Remember the big "Gun Show Loophole"? Turns out closing gun shows would not have had a significant impact.

"During the offense that brought them to prison, 15% of State inmates and 13% of Federal inmates carried a handgun, and about 2%, a military-style semiautomatic gun.
    On average, State inmates possessing a firearm received sentences of 18 years, while those without a weapon had an average sentence of 12 years.
    Among prisoners carrying a firearm during their crime, 40% of State inmates and 56% of Federal inmates received a sentence enhancement because of the firearm."

So, by their own admission, there are already gun laws that are not being enforced by the judges? Why doesn't that statistic say 100% got stiffer sentences? All more gun laws will do is make more criminals out of ordinary people. To say I can't do this or that with my guns because 15 year old Billy down the street shot his mom, is like saying you can't drink beer anymore because your neighbor's teenager got a DUI.

19. BigV

BigV BigV

Don’t you think Ohio already has GUN laws regarding safe storage and minors gaining access to owner’s guns?? How would more laws help??

We already have over 20,000 gun laws on the books and the CRIMINAL could care less how many more are passed.

We, the Law abiding, are the only ones made to suffer the consequences of more FEEL GOOD GUN LAWS!!!