Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year during early season, we were faced with a common scenario. The wind was coming out of the West in the morning but was supposed to be shifting to coming out of the S during the course of the hunt. We are by no means goose hunting and decoy setup experts, but I knew I didn't want to go with any sort of a west facing "U" spread because I was afraid the South side of the arm would either make birds coming from the south land too far to our side, or not want to commit at all. Instead I opted to go with a "J Hook" and I was AMAZED at how well the birds decoyed from both the West and the South. It worked PERFECT! Do you guys use this sort of a decoy spread? If not, what is your "go to" spread for shifting winds? Watch the video to see what it looked like and how the birds worked it, enjoy!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I commonly used the J or even 3 pods of decoys in a triangle to combat variable winds . The J or L also works well on heavy winds as the birds like following that edge into the pocket . Very rarely do I use the U pattern asi feel it boxes the birds in a bit .

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,432 Posts
Totally agree w/ Carpn - Usually always a variety of J hook or small family pods.
Early season I tend to use small family pods the most, I want them to think that small groups have started to dump in the field (natural as possible) as season goes on and migrators come through I like J's and sometimes even a back to back J with one side shorter then other (used to do this when I had a ton of decoys) Hunters lay where the two J's are together... Alot of times the geese will tell you or show you where "the landing zone" truly is based on wind and tightness of spread. Many times we thought we had it set good, and they show us otherwise... Then do a mad dash to get blockers or the hook adjusted- have fun! good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts