Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
One On The Turn
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit Vermillion this morning. Can you say mayflies. Went to the sand bar first thing 32/20 line nothing but mayflies on the screen. I guess thats what they would be. Got 1 fish on a orange crush harness on 40 jet 100 back and lost another at the boat on the same speed 1.8 to 2.0. for the next 4 Hrs or so nothing. We tried inline boards with inline weights with harness, jets dipsys bottom bouncers, nothing. Left there to try shallower around 36 to 38 FOW. Some decent marks but no takers. Went over by the castle same depth again some marks and again no takers. Went back out to the sandbar 31/19 line around 2:30 and started to pick some up. Took 4 more fish and lost 2 more. One on harness/ willow blade again orange crush. Took the other 3 on small spoons. Kevorkian and anything blue. 40 jets 100 to 110 back Big dipseys 1 setting 45 to 65 back and 3 setting 80 back kicked speed up to 2.1 to 2.4.

Tough, tough day fishing but still a great day on the lake.

Keith R.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
keep at it keith. i fished lorain last sunday and it was my worst trip this year. had a wedding to go to 6-13 didnt get home till 2:30 am. hit hotwaters 11 am, letting out 3rd line fish on got three more by noon. then it went dead many boat west so i trolled east towords avon. didnt go far enough east got into some dead water between larain and avon. sunday hope to get out, maybe wildwood or fairport. rockytop (BOB)

·
One On The Turn
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what the fishfinder was showing on the sandbar early in the morning. Tell me if I am right or wrong, but I would think the bottom is full of mayflies.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yep Keith those would be the dreaded Mayflies.Doesn't matter if your screen is black and white or colored they all look the same.Like a whole bunch of storm clouds under the water.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keith R ,
It was nice talking to you at the ramp in the morning. It was a tough day yesterday.
Seemed you had to force feed them. We ended up on the east side of the bar.
Burky

·
Flatulent Entreprenuer
2,601 Posts
How do you know that is not smelt,minnows,shad, junk, fleas or perch?
It's a pretty solid mass. Bait would be spread out in balls a bit, and junk would not be that heavy for that long. The mayflies were all over the building at work on Thursday, (Avon Ford Plant) so it's a pretty safe bet that the 'eyes are gonna be tough goin for a little bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts