Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched out of Vermillion. Didn't have any intention of wandering far. Headed out to 42' slightly east and dropped the trolling motor-so murky/muddy I couldn't see the blades. Decided to run deeper. Same story. Decided to run to the southern end of the bar. Fairly clear, but still muddy. Ran a bit farther, pretty clear, picked up a couple but it was slow. Kept hearing radio chatter about how nice and clear it was up towards the buoy and how good it was.. so off we went. It was calm, clear, super hot like an oven hot, but we managed two tickets. Everything came deep for us-100-120 back on a #2 tadpole, purple and pink harnesses, 1.5 mph. Lots of sheephead, but every so often a nice pod of walleye. I'm guessing there are plenty of fish to be had further south on the bar, once you hit clear water, but no doubt the buoy area is worth the run. In close-doesn't look so good for now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Takes me about 30 minutes from the mouth of the vermillion river-on a smooth day. I have a StarCraft 17.5 ft with a 115 Optimax. I won't attempt it if winds/waves are forecast because that turns into a long and bouncy ride. It really puts you out there so you have to keep a serious eye on the sky-and remember you usually cant see land so it is easy to get turned around-compass and GPS a must.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went out today for a few hours and decided to see what was hanging around the middle of the bar-about halfway to the buoy. Picked up two walleye and several sheephead and white perch. Not bad for just fooling around with two lines. I was trying odd colors and different tackle just to change it up and see what worked. Wanted to stay out of the packs in case I was trolling in circles while I was fooling with stuff-that tends to get people worked up. :) Ended up doing well on a longline down the middle with a 40 jet 240 back, worm harness. Weird I got more hits on that than anything off to the side on a board. All kinds of marks out there so its likely there are plenty of fish to be had if you dont feel like running all the way out to the buoy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts