close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vermillion River (Wakeman)

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bgpark1, Jul 26, 2004.

1. bgpark1

bgpark1 Catching and Releasing

Fished downstream of the dam in Wakeman Friday night and slaughtered the smallies.... mostly 8-12" with only a few push slightly larger.... amazed at the rock bass, bluegill and blown away by all the crappie we caught.... 4 1/2 hours of pulling in fish.... my bro caught every rock and limb and tree in on and around the river.... that boy has lost his edge... lol. Lots of fun and camped right on the river about 1 1/2 miles outside of Wakeman... place called Hostile Valley... all primative but has a lake and well water... and porta pots... anyway 5 bones a night per tent and 5 bones per person (kids only 3 bones)... the overnight costs left plenty of cash for the bar in town and we spent alot.... the Buffalo Cafe... thanks for the entertainment and great food... and the free t-shirt was great!!!! must not have liked my Hawian shirt??

Check it all out for a fun overnight trip with a great fishery.... the stealies will be backing up there shortly... and i will be hunting them.

2. I've been fishing the "V" for years,it is a great bass river.I fish it a little more south than where you were,but it's all good.There's been quite a few crappies in there for the last couple of years too.Just a tad north of Fitchville,I've even caught a couple northerns in there this year,and a friend caught a muskie last year near Birmingham.The steelies should start coming in October,if not earlier.

3. bgpark1

i grew up in clarksfield... on Zenobia... about .5 miles west of the "v".... so it was nice to fish it again after 16+ years... was going to hit behind my aunts more your way a few miles south of the Landmark.... but my lil bro had a bit of a hangover sat morn.... so i need to make another trip.... always up for a trip outta town. I remember watching trout off the bridge as a kid... way before recent stocking efforts... i did manage to find out in the 70's they stocked rainbow or brook trout off shanango.... so with the rocky bottom and realatively decent quality of water... it's now wonder it is such a good fishery today..... doesn't seem like many people fish it though.

4. I've fished the river near Zenobia Rd.There used to be a little roadside reststop up that way,I used to start right by there and wade upstream to the next bridge.Back in the 70's,it was not at all unusual to catch coho salmon,an occassional chinook,and a rainbow or two out of there along with the usual species(in fall).I'm not sure if the DNR ever planted it with coho's,I know they stocked the Huron River with them.I suppose the chinook's were strays from Michigan,or PA.As you stated,there's always been some trout that would find their way into there also(before they ever stocked it with them).At that time,I would on occassion catch a small rainbow or two when bass fishing,one day though,a guy I was wading with caught a brown trout on a roostertail.It probably was only around 12"or so,but to this day it's still the only brown I've ever seen caught out of there.I never really figured out how so many crappie got in there though,and that far upstream.I've caught nice crappies out of there even south of Fitchville.Have you ever caught any pike out of there?I've taken a few of them out of there over the years,mainly closer to the town of Vermilion.

5. bgpark1

well its nice to know that nature finds a way... lol. i am just amazed how healthy the fish are and the variety of fish is great.... never caught a pike but than again as a kid all i used was crawlers and a boober... only fished twice since both last couple weeks and had such huge sucess on the 1/8 rainbow rooster tail.... i had no reason to change lures.... but i am sure they are there!!! not many places pike don't hang out in ohio.

6. Where is this campground at? I have never fished the V before and it sounds like something interesting to do real soon

7. bgpark1

Route 60 about 1 mile north of rt 20 just outside Wakeman.... little farm with a sign... on the west side of 60..... real nice and clean and quiet have to drive back about a mile on gravel road from farm house... has a lake for swimming... most of all cheap... definatly worth an overnight trip!!! or a weekend stay for the whole family!!!!

8. i live like 5 minutes from wakeman.
    yeah "the buffalo" only wakemans finest go there, the others go the crossroads