close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Venison Sandwich - Arby's

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by Shad Rap, Oct 12, 2017.

1. the Wife just brought home some Gyros from Arby's....while there, she sent me a picture it says:
    coming Saturday, limit 2. meal deal is $9.30, sandwich is $7

2. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

My Bro and I both live in Mahoning Co. He used to someplace in Trumbull Co. (North of here) to buy his bison. Also don't know if they are still in business.

As far as the venison sammich at Arby's goes, I don't know if I'll be able to get one. Saturday is the pheasant opener in PA., so my buddy and I will be heading out to the game club to whack a couple birds apiece. It shouldn't take too long though, since we'll have Abby the Wonder Dog along. She's a GSP, and a hunting machine!

So maybe we will be able to get one!

Slatebar likes this.

3. So, Buckeyebowman, are you saying -Coming soon to an Arby's near PA..Pheasant sandwiches !

Slatebar likes this.
  4. buckeyebowman

Unfortunately, no! The game club I belong to has it's western border right on the state line. The Arby's I'm thinking of is in Struthers, OH, on Youngstown-Poland Rd.! It's not that far away.

Besides, as warm as it's supposed to get tomorrow it will be a "hit and git" kind of day. So, we could finish early enough to get a sammich!

5. Well...anyone try it?..I was never able to make it there...

6. Matt63

Matt63

Me either

7. you would have thought a deer farmer in the United states would have got the contract on a Arby's deer sandmitch but i read it's imported from New Zealand. i drive by plenty of deer meat sandmitches laying along the road i doubt i stop at Arby's for one and if your lucky enough to get one that was hit by a water tanker heading to a well site it's tenderized already it drives that wonderful venison flavor right into the meat ...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  8. Hmmm...from the responses, sounds like the deer samichs didn't go over to well. At least from those here on OGF.

I, on the other hand, celebrated the event by doing up the last of the two pieces of tenderloin along with a pack of butterflied blackstrap.
    Cooked up in an iron skillet with butter, a little cooking Sherry with sautéed onions,mushrooms and minced garlic. Fried taters naturally.

Northern Reb likes this.
  9. bbm, was that the place on 45 going towards salem? i bought bison bologna there years ago and it was pretty good. are they still in business?

10. buckeyebowman

No, that might be Mahoning Co., and my Brother bought his in Trumbull Co. A place somewhere near Mosquito Lake if I recall correctly. Not familiar with the place near Salem. Was this North or South of town? If South of town then that's Columbiana Co.

And yes, I got one of the venison sandwiches. It was just OK. You could definitely tell it was venison, but it had a bit of a different flavor than our whitetail venison. Being from New Zealand makes me suspect even more that it was red deer. It was not ground meat, more like a mini steak!

I didn't taste much in the way of seasonings on it other than the kinda, sorta BBQ sauce they had on it. If I wasn't already a venison fan, it would not have converted me. The pork belly sandwich they had was much better!

But, hey! I give them points for trying something different.

11. it was north of town but south of 224. when we lived in austintown we would run down to pick up some bologna from time to time.

12. James F

James F Senior Member

That sandwich does look good! I love elk,I have taken three,two in Colorado ad one in Wyoming along with two Antelope, now my mouth is watering :). Bison is also very good,brought about 30# back from Wyoming. We have friends out west and have the opportunity to hunt about 19,000 acres. The only problem is getting the meat home.We used a meat packing and shipping company in the past, the owner retired and sold the business, so we lost our best deal! We sent the last meat by refrigerated rail cost more than the Antelope tags:eek:.I didn't know that Arby's was just one day! Missed that one.

13. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That was a coworker's F-I-L right at the Lorain/Erie county line. He no longer has them, just horses. He said they were too aggressive.

14. I tried it. I thought it wasn’t bad at all. For being “fast food” it tasted nearly as good as home cooked. I do have a few complaints, but for fast food- it was good. First thing I didn’t like was the silver skin was still on it making it chewy. Second of all I thought it was rather under cooked. I must say that it tasted the same as any deer that I would shoot in the wild. The barbecue and onions that came on it made it delicious! It was not dry or overcooked. I can see why it was $7. All in all I thought it was good aside from the chewiness.

Snakecharmer likes this.