Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This problem has been plaguing for more than 5+ years now.The motor runs well in cool temperatures and can troll all day.When the summer temperature increases like at 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., then it sputters out and I have to squeeze the primerball many times til she goes back to normal.Usually every 15 mins. One day this season,the primerball collapsed but a good cleaning of the gas cap vent helped and hasn't done it since.First time it acted up it was on a full tank and when I popped the gas cap there was a huge sucking noise and ok once some air got in there.
I replaced the primerball last spring,shortened up the hose a couple weeks ago,tried keeping the primerball vertical,and she still sputters on the sunny/hot days.I tried different sizes of fuel filters and same results.I pop open the gas cap every now and then to get some air into the tank. Yesterday afternoon she started on the 1st pull and that's a rare event,LOL!

The History: Since day 1 with the new kicker,I spliced into the main fuel line with a T so I didn't have to have an extra tank. Maybe I should have spliced into it with a Y fitting? Maybe the fuel pump? The switch to a Y fitting is my next choice.

I'm going to run some sea foam in both engines tomorrow and hopefully clean everything out. Anything that I missed? Any tips will be appreciated!

Fish On!

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
You want to let the tank vent or else a vacuum will be created in the tank

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool and rainy this morning,so it didn't act up until around noon when the sun popped out of the clouds. I usually run with the gas cap flipped up on calm days and she'll still do it on the hot days.Way too rough today,but I did flip it up once. Just getting annoying because when I run planerboards in 6' snag infested water on windy days,I can't stop. We narrowly averted one of those catastaphe's yesterday in calm weather.Planerboards almost crossed. When planerboards cross,then line tangles,line in props,and even broken rods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts