vanilla fish attractant

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by castmaster00, Dec 3, 2008.

1. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

i heard from a friend that vanilla is a good fish attractant. is this a myth or truth?

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i've been using it in my doughballs for carp over 50 years.so yes,it works;)

3. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

castmaster00.........You heard right.....It's the truth.....

4. thelatrobe33

thelatrobe33 Ohio Bassman

I've soaked shrimp in it for use as catfish bait... Works rather well actually!

5. I've also heard that vasiline and anise oil work great too. I know the anise oile does but not sure about the vasaline.

6. In Arizona, a guy told me to mix vanilla extract with corn for trout. He swore by it. I don't think I caught anything.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto.i forgot to mention that.

8. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob rrbski, The Happy Carper

I've used it alot in various carp baits...ie doughballs and sweetcorn...a great addition. For ice fishing for trout it worked great in sweetcorn too.

9. tomb

tomb Tom B.

My dad used to dip nightcrawlers in it for catfish at LaDue and Mosquito.

10. castmaster00

would this tactic work for eyes and bass as well?

11. stormfront

stormfront Guest

when i was a kid, we would put a little piece of real sponge above our hooks and pour some vanilla extract on it. the hook was then baited and the cats came sniffing around.

12. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Cant go wrong with vanilla. I know the smell of "warm vanilla sugar" gets my attention when the better half puts it on;) :)

13. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Years ago, we'd take a handful of Wheaties, dip em in water to get moist, add some vanilla and let it get tacky in the sun........excellent for carp!

14. nooffseason

nooffseason On the water

snake, used to use that same recipe for big carp in the maumee. Cant go wrong, there are a lot of household spices that you can throw in a bowl with some wet wheaties and do well on the river.

15. castmaster00

are you sure that is not the wheaties themselves? does vanilla work well for bass as well? or does it bellyflop harder than a 3ft muskie?

16. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I finally got a sample of shark liver oil in. Ordered it this past summer when we all were talking about WD-40 as a fish attractant.
    That stuff was hard to find. I guess sharks are getting rarer and rarer. Had to order it through a SE Asian company(shark fin soup anyone??).
    Can't wait to try it next spring.

Why don't you try it???? cast some wheaties on one pole and some wheaties with vanilla on another. See what outfishes the other.

17. I can remember back in 1948..My grandpa used to mix vanilla in his dough balls when he went fishing...this trick has been around for a long time....C.L....Can't hurt

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  18. How much was that stuff Mike?

19. castmaster00

hey what other things would this stuff work on? bass crappie walleye? what