close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Van Buren State Park

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BuckeyeAngler17, May 24, 2004.

1. Has anyone here ever tried fishing Van Buren if so please let me know what you can catch out of there? I have tried it a few times and only caught little bullhead please give me any info you can on the lake.

2. UncleBud

UncleBud Retired and Happy

I've fished it a few times, and like you, caught a few little bullheads. They claim there is crappie in it, but I have my doubts. For one thing, it is extremly shallow. Over the years, it has filled in with silt. They were talking about dreging it out, but nothing ever came of it. There are better places to fish in the area.

3. Would you suggest any spots in the area unclebud.

4. I have fished the creek feeding the lake and done well on largemouth. shadowalker :D

5. Really that is nice to hear I live close to there do you fish from the bridge or farthere into the creek.

6. I usually walk and fish the whole creek. From the east road to the park. shadowalker, there is also a pond at the trailer park that is full of crappies. :cool:

7. rod bender bob

rod bender bob gray panther

Try fishing the Blanchard River at Riverside Park in Findlay -- the old reservoir -- a lot of bass, crappie. The Findlay Reservoirs are good and so is the old reservoir at N. Baltimore. Blanchard has bass and crappie from Mt. Blanchard through Findlay. Use to catch bass and crappie in VB lake and in the creek east of it, but that was year's ago -- a lot of silt and freeze outs since then ???? West and south banks were generally best.

8. Is there anything the DNR could do to make that place anygood or is it just doomed. It seems they are just leting that place get worse and worse they will have to do somthing adventially.

9. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

Where exactly is the pond you guys are talking about at V/Buren?
    I'v fished the lake a few times, caught a couple of smallies, thats about it, like u said... shallow and full of silt etc...

Disapointing...

10. Ray_IL

Ray_IL Banned

They had a dredge in VB lake in the 70s till the dems shut down the Ohio state park system & it was removed... the upper quarter of the lake to the bridge was dredged to 6' if mem serves me correctly...

-the deepest area used to be the mouth of the last sm SW cove next to the dam bulkhead with the largest crappies in that area around a hugh sunken tree ... I've watched a few OSU F-ball games on the old 70s 12 VDC portable B/W TV in the boat while crappie fishin' it for good no#s n' great games with local fishin' bud Bob da Basser Bailey!!! :)

-when the boat wasn't hung-up on top of a stump/log :eek: :p .... I've caught good numbers of L-Bass slingin' spinnner baits all ove VB lake & you used to be able to go upstream above the bridge into the creek with the Bass Boat...don't know about now....

:)

11. Ray_IL

Ray_IL Banned

-those games back then were Woody 10 Yards n' a Cloud of Dust -or- Run Archie Run -heheh :p

:eek: :D

12. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

Well we took a small row boat out from the East end, by the bridge, rowed about halfway down the lake and all across it... shallow as heck, we basically went Gondola style pushing ourselfs along at times (may 12-15 inches) no catches.. We than headed under the bridge into the creek (very senic) and ALOT deeper, 4-6 ft in places, plenty of good lookin spots for bass (weed beds etc.) although we didnt hit onto anything today, we were fishing shallow though, and using topwaters at times.. would definatley try the creek again, but not the lake..