close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vacum sealer help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swantucky, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Last year I had some fish get freezer burned even though the seal did not break. I sealed some up last night and had a heck of a time getting all of the water out to get it to seal. I used to put them in water in a zip-loc bag and they were fine. Any advice out there?????

2. Fish Tale

Fish Tale Sea Food Eater

Never tried the vacuum sealer....may be you have water in the way when your applying the final heat to the seal....
    I have allways had good luck with the water in the ziploc routine... might take up a little more room.... but never had freezer burn.

3. Try partially freezing the fish in the bag and then seal it. I have to do that with chicken, some times. It works good for me.

4. You should pat dry with papaer towels or freeze then put in bag also if there is to much moisture try puting a pice of paper towel in front of the fish so that it does not draw any moister into the vacum channel. that is about all you can do. Good Luck Fish Guy

5. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Lay the fillets on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for an hour or two before vacuuming. This works great with any foods that have a high water/juice content.

I have a FoodSaver, but I still use the water in Ziplock method for freezing fish.