Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be in Pigeon Forge for a week with the family for my daughters softball tournament. I called the local Orvis shop and will stop by today before the opening ceremonies. On the phone Dave suggested the Smokey Mountain National park. Above 3000 ft there are wild Brooke trout. Lower elevations hosts rainbows and browns.

Does anyone have and advice?

Depending on the schedule I'm looking at a three day license.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I fish there at least twice a year. First, ask for a park stream map if you go to Orvis, they should have it. If they don't, I know the Bass Pro in Sevierville has them. For the brookies, I usually fish above the Chimney Tops picnic area, if you keep going up until the road doubles over itself, past that area on the right is good brookie areas. Also, on the way down the other side to Cades Cove on the left by the picnic area is Anthony Creek. It is loaded with wild rainbow, but get there early to avoid the picnic crowd. For bigger rainbow, and possibly a brown, I would fish the Tremont or Elkmont area. They will show you exactly where at the bass pro and get you started. There are also several good places that require hiking into, but I won't get into those. This time of year usually yellow stimulator, Mr. Rapidan, beetles, ants, and yellow neversink caddis will all work for dries, usually in size 16. For a dropper, I would use a small bead head pheasant tail, prince, green weenie or hare's ear nymph.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fish there at least twice a year. First, ask for a park stream map if you go to Orvis, they should have it. If they don't, I know the Bass Pro in Sevierville has them. For the brookies, I usually fish above the Chimney Tops picnic area, if you keep going up until the road doubles over itself, past that area on the right is good brookie areas. Also, on the way down the other side to Cades Cove on the left by the picnic area is Anthony Creek. It is loaded with wild rainbow, but get there early to avoid the picnic crowd. For bigger rainbow, and possibly a brown, I would fish the Tremont or Elkmont area. They will show you exactly where at the bass pro and get you started. There are also several good places that require hiking into, but I won't get into those. This time of year usually yellow stimulator, Mr. Rapidan, beetles, ants, and yellow neversink caddis will all work for dries, usually in size 16. For a dropper, I would use a small bead head pheasant tail, prince, green weenie or hare's ear nymph.
Dave at the Orvis shop was with a customer so I grabbed a map and started hunting areas that I might be able to hike away from any crowds. When he returned he marked this map at the very spot i was looking at. You hit the nail on the head. We got a pretty good rain today and the river in town is pretty high and chocolatey. I'm still gonna get up in the morning and have a look. I'm hoping the moutain stream is less effected by rain then down here in town.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is some ammo for those wild Brookies....

Gonna start with a Prince nymph and a small dry fly (Cadiz) as an indicator. We'll see. If I catch a wold Brookie on a dry fly I think I'll drop a duece in my waders......

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you are only going to fish in the GSM Park only you can get a non resident NC inland 10 day fishing license for $10.00 and no trout stamp needed. I was down there over the 4th of July and that's what I did. You can fish the park waters with a NC inland fishing license or a Tenn fishing license. Drive over the mountain and get a NC non resident license in Cherokee NC and save yourself some money.
The brookies are going to be small but they sure are fun to catch.
If the rivers down low are chocolate milk up high they will probably be OK.
I was there 5 days and it rained every day. I was suppose to fish Sat with a guide out of NC but everything up high was blown out. On Sunday we went and they were back down to fishable levels.
If you hike in keep an eye out for snakes! They have copper heads, timber rattlers and eastern diamond backs down there.
Have a good time and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went back today after letting the water settle down for a few days. Actually ran into a guide giving casting lessons. Turns out he is from Cleveland. He pointed me to stretch of stream and tossed me a fly he calls " just add water ". He far me an Oh and I returned with the io.

First cast produces a little fish on the "just add water" dropper. Finished 3/4, the last one took the elk hair indicator.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
I fished in the same area, last year, except the weather was hotter compared to now, assume the amount of rain fall is the same should keep the rivers a little cooler. Last year drove thru the state park and all the nice areas with deeper pools turns out to be popular swimming holes.

There was a section I wanted to hike, never got a chance so I spent an early morning trip in Gatlinburg in town and caught a few bows. I thought maybe the stream running along the road towards town would be fishable, they all had warning signs that the water is not safe could contain waste. Guess the waste treatment plant feeds into this stream. Good luck..

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Friday we went to Cade's Cove. The road we were on ran along some awesome water. I was kicking myself the whole way for not knowing about it. Much wider, slower, and lots of holes....danggit!

Now I want to go back, minus my yuppie family who would rather shop and ride go karts then camp, hike or fish.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Friday we went to Cade's Cove. The road we were on ran along some awesome water. I was kicking myself the whole way for not knowing about it. Much wider, slower, and lots of holes....danggit!

Now I want to go back, minus my yuppie family who would rather shop and ride go karts then camp, hike or fish.
There are a number of deep pockets on that stream, one is just below Elkmont Campgrounds and another is the "Sinks", both hold good numbers of fish and some large ones as well, mainly Browns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts