close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vacation Pike

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by CoolWater, Jul 24, 2004.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Just got back from vacation (Sault Ste. Marie area), I caught zero fish in the entire week- UGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's the big fish, my mom's Pike slightly over 35" and 12#'s.

[​IMG]

2. Pike

Pike

Coolwater,

Where did you fish up there, I would assume the St Mary's River. Just wondering what part. I will be up there in about a week. Have the water temps hit 60 degrees yet. I was there about a month ago and the water was still in the 40's and upper 50's. I will be fishing the munuscong bay area. When the water is cool it can be some tough fishing up there. Nice Pike!

3. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

You are right on the money, St. Mary's River, Neebish Island area. The family has been traveling there since the late 1940's (new generation started around 1999). The fishing has changed alot and is much more difficult now, especially since the native american (& Canadian tribes) are allowed to use gil nets. We go up there to socialize and have a good time and the fishing is almost a side note now, which is unfortunate. In total, we had about 10 people fishing for the week and we caught about 15 keeper Northern's, 2 Walleye, and a few incidental Yellow Perch catches. Also released about 8 undersized Northern's.

I'd be happy to give you more specific information (I haven't even deleted my GPS coordinates yet), just contact me via PM.

4. eagleclaw

eagleclaw Banned

if you guys want to go after some pikes i can give you places in northern MN to go
    lake of the woods it's a hot spot, rainy river, lake winnie, casslake
    lake of the woods would be your best bet for monster pikes. also rainy lake
    red lake