close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

v bottom vs. jon!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mushijobah, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

OK so I'm about to buy a boat. I have 2 choices.

The vbottom is a 12 foot with a 6hp evenrude (late 70's).

The jon is 14 foot with a 5.5 hp outboard (duno the date)

First question is how deep will the small vbottom run in the water? I am planing on fishing rivers with it and don't know how easy it would bottom out. If you guys dont think it will bottom out in the scioto or whatever I will go with it because its nicer...Both around the same price... PLEASE HELP!!!

2. rockbass

rockbass Banned

We take my uncles jon boat down the river around here and don't have problems with it......I have never been in a v-bottom in the river where I would have to worry about bottoming out though. Personally, I would get the jon!

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I think I would too. Theres lot sof palces that you'll have to get scorss 1-2 feet of water. If you dont take the Jon, let me know where its at & how much as I'm lookign for one too.

4. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

jon boats are what we use in iowa and we go places that are extrememly shallow. in my openions they are the perfect river boat.

5. These guys are right on with the jon boat option. That is what the jon boats are designed for is to run shallow. You would not want to put the V-bottom up on a log in the deep water and have it tipping on you. V-bottoms will ride more stable in rougher water and therefore if you were choosing a boat for a lake you would want the V-bottom.

6. Jon boats where made for rivers.

7. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Told ya you'de get a good answer here :)

8. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

the problem we have on the scioto ,even in a deep v is the motor hitting the bottom!!! the only way to get around this even in a jon boat would be a jet outboard ,power tilt-n-trim or a setback jackplate. my buddy ruins 1 prop every duck season on the scioto.cabelas .

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Thanks for the opinions guys....The damn jon boat sold before i could get it, so im gona get the v bottom....Its pretty small and wide so i dont believe it will be scraping bottom too much, do you?

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I think I know they one you wanted. That was one heck of a price!

11. I have a 14' deep v boat with a shortshaft 5 horse and it runs the shallows of the lakes preety good.... i dont lift the motor until i see under 2 foot on the depthfinder.. and then i can go in 1' of water with it tilted...(depending on weight in the boat) I dont know what depths you are talking about on the river... but i love my deep v.....

12. Look on E-bay they have a few ..