close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Using Planer Boards

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Fishyguy, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

Well, this year I plan to do some other types of fishing instead of just catfish. Of course when the river is fishable thats where I will be, but when it's blown out I plan to try other things. I was planning on planer boarding for striper and muskie. I got some questions for those out there who use planer boards. First question is what are good rods and reels for this? Now I don't want to spend 200.00 for one rod and reel. Second is what is the best time of year to try for both species i mentioned when boarding in ohio. I heard march for striper? Any other info would be appreciated as well. Thanks

2. If you want to target those fish I'd go with the inline planner boards that hook on one pole... It would be tuff in my opinion using a planner board system on any waterway in Ohio except Lake Erie and at times that can be a challenge with all the boat traffic so get away from other boats and have some fun catching your targeted fish... I know it can be done at times inland too just imagine its a hard fish with all the boat and jet ski traffic... Maybe very early in the day would be better. I am sure others on here will be able to help much more then I have... HAVE FUN !!

http://www.baitcasters.ca/articles/sh_planerBoards.htm
    http://www.walleyecentral.com/garygray/gray-trolling2.shtml

3. Tee

Tee Team OGF

I tried trolling with planers for the 1st time last year up on Lake Erie for walleye. The 1st time is a challenge, but once you get use to it is a blast. I would suggest getting a book called Precision Trolling (called the trollers bible). I got it and it definately helps out. Its mostly geared for trolling with crankbaits. If your trolling dipsey divers and jet divers, thats a little different. I haven't tried that yet. But the Precision Tolling book really helps. I got mine from Bass Pro Shops here in Cincinnati.

I haven't tried trolling for stripers here on the river YET! ;) But I have seen another person try. I bought a rod and reel combo from a Baitshop up by Lake Erie near Vermillion. I paid about $80 for the combo I think. I have heard you can get a Diawa combo for about $69 I believe. I think Bass Pro has them online but not at the Cincinnati location.

I have no idea on muskies but I have heard the stripers start to converge near fast water when the water temps hit 50F to 55F. I have always casted for them and never tried trolling for them then. I have always wanted to try though. ;) If you ever want to team up and give it a shot let me know, shoot me a PM.

4. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah I looked for rods at BPS and they didnt have any that looked like what I need, but I could be wrong. Thats why I am trying to get some info, they might have the perfect rod and this dumb catfish guy just dont know it.LOL

5. A couple of tips I can pass on.:

1) A trip (even for walleyes) with some one who is experienced in using in-line planers will shorten your learning curve tremendously. It ain't Rocket Science, but there's a few tricks to it.

2) Most musky and striper guys rig there boards so the front release pops off the line on a strike. Most have the rear clip as a large swivel/snap that clips on the line. The board slides down the line to a stop bead set 3' to 6' ahead of the lure.

3) Rod/reel combo and rodholders will have to be sturdy enough to withstand powerful strikes/runs by these fish. A linecounter reel will help duplicate depths. Not sure how popular they are for the 'striper and 'ski guys, though?

Maybe this site will help some:

http://www.muskiecentral.com/

Tim

6. Lee your cat rods with lighter line will work.If you want to go out to the EF sometime I will show you what I know about it.Daryl

7. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

sounds good, i appreciate it. Hopefully our horrible weather will improve soon.