Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i was in mentor lagoons throwing a 7ft cast net when some fisherman started giving me a hard time for using it. he said it was illegal. well i kept casting and catching the shad for use later that nite. just wondering if anyone has some insight on this and catfishing mentor lagoons. looks like a decent spot close to the house. i always seem to go to my favorite spot an hr away. thanks in advance. -adam

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
7 ft radius or diameter? If radius, then it's too big and illegal. If diameter, then size is within 10 ft max. limit and ok. I'm not familiar with the area but if it's considered part of the Lake Erie Fishing District then cast nets are illegal there.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
the only thing that may be in question is the diameter. and what do you mean about lake erie and it being illegal. I have used a casting net in front of wildlife officers at edgewater and they said it was perfectly legal as long as i was only keeping forage fish

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
and what do you mean about lake erie and it being illegal.
Here is the cast net reg. on the pamphlet you should have gotten with your license and from the ODNR site:

CAST NETS- Forage fish may be taken with cast nets only in the Inland Fishing District. It is unlawful to use a cast net with a square mesh less than 1/4 inch or larger than 1 inch on a side, or with a diameter of greater than 10 feet. It is illegal to use a cast net within a distance of 1000 feet downstream from any dam posted with Division of Wildlife signs indicating cast net use is prohibited.

Here is the link if you want to check yourself: http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/fishing_general.aspx

This is the actual law in the OAC (Ohio Administrative Code):

Chapter 1501:31-13 Sport Fishing

1501:31-13-01 Sport fishing.

(10) It shall be lawful to take forage fish and minnows in the inland fishing district with a cast net. It shall be unlawful for any person to use a cast net within a distance of one thousand feet down stream from any dam posted with division of wildlife signs indicating cast net use is prohibited. Provided further it shall be unlawful to use cast nets with a square mesh less than one-quarter inch on a side or larger than one-inch on a side, and with a diameter larger than ten feet, to take forage fish.

Here is the link: http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501:31-13

Here are the definitions of the "Lake Erie" and "Inland" Fishing Districts from the ORC (Ohio Revised Code) site:

1533.02 Fishing and trapping districts - restrictions on taking, possession and selling.

The waters of Lake Erie; the waters of Sandusky bay as far west as a continuation due south to the Sandusky county shore of the section line between sections 23 and 24 in Bay township, Ottawa county, and as far east as a continuation due north of the township line between Perkins and Huron townships, Erie county, indicated by markers which shall be permanently erected on each shore; and the waters of Maumee bay as far south as a line which shall be a continuation due eastward of the section line between sections 16 and 21 in Washington township, Lucas county, indicated by markers which shall be permanently erected on each shore, constitute the “Lake Erie fishing district.” All other waters over which the state has jurisdiction, whether lakes, rivers, creeks, or reservoirs or whether natural or artificial, including East Harbor, West Harbor, and Middle Harbor in Ottawa county, and the waters of Ten Mile creek lying within this state constitute the “inland fishing district.”

Here is the link: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1533

·
Banned
167 Posts
I spent about 2 hours on the phone with ODNR about this earlier in the year for clarification on this issue and the use of a cast net of ANY size is strictly prohibited in lake erie and, the Mento Lagoons class as part of lake erie for the sake of regs. Apparently this is because of the fact that you "could" be using it to catch sportfish. The ODNR agent I spoke with agreed that it is a rather assinine reg, but being as it is there, best abide by it or pay the state. Granted, my query was more regarding what classed as a cast net and what classed as a dip net... for the record the umbrella nets you can throw out class as dip nets.

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just keep baitfish, throwem in the insulated cooler to use for big fish later. its a seven ft in diameter. besides i cant seem to throw a perfect circle anyways. all gamefish if any go into the water. thanks for the responses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts