close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Used car blues

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by flathunter, Jul 10, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

My son bought his first car recently, took out a loan for 2000 bucks..He had the car for two days and started to have trouble..We took it to a garage, and found out the previous owner had ripped him off....They found a spark plug that had a rubber o ring around it at it's base, I know sounds kinda odd..They took the oring off and antifreeze started pumping out..The car had a cracked head, which was letting antifreeze fill up the cylinder..The o ring was placed there to conceil the problem from a potential buyer...Talk about being bummed out :(

2. Banker

Banker Banned

people like that suck.....sorry to hear about it. I just bought a used car and when I got it the previous buyer pulled out the alarm system and thrashed the inner door panels in the process....I'm gonna have to find a custom way to attach them...probably turn to the tried and trusted shoe goo (since I can't seem to find double sided duct tape :) ).....

3. Banker

Banker Banned

do you know where they live or have a copy of the old title showing their address? a dozen eggs will eventually be weathered off of a house.....(I am not advocating the tossing off eggs, just saying that over time, if a theoretical dozen eggs happened to end up on someones house, they would eventually be washed away by rain)

4. flathunter

Yea I know where he lives and works..My son and I are paying him a visit monday when he goes to lunch..We bought the car of him, not thru a dealer..We also found out from a guy who works with him, that this has happened alot in the past..The same scum buys cars that have huge problems, then manages to hide the problems and sell them.

5. I aint sure how it works, but you may want to check into the "Lemon Law". I think this guy may have to give you all your sons money back. I aint sure as I really don't know this law, but he may go to jail or be fined also. Be sure to check into it.

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i would say check into small claims court for getting your money back first. lemon law most likely pertains to newer vehicles . if you baught it "as is " you may be out of luck .

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I think you need to talk to a lawyer. I'm sure he violated some law. Maybe theft thru deception or something like that. He obviously knew the car was a dud when he sold it. Did he say it had a problem (he had sealed the plug), or did he say "as far as I know there is nothing wrong"
    A lawyer might be able to get all your money back. You'll need evidence, the mechanic who checked it, the guy who said the seller does this all the time. Maybe the lawyer can even research it somehow who those other buyers are & they can all get together to show a pattern. (Maybe notarized letters from them)
    Try the legal lawyer way. Be sure not to threaten him when you visit with him, maybe just a phone call or a letter sent certified mail to him (his addy is on the title).

Let him know what you found and that he may be found guilty of theft thru deception or he can take back the auto & refund all your money.

8. flathunter

Jim he said there was nothing at all wrong with the car..No we are not going to threaten him, just going to let him know we are on to him

9. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I dont know if this would apply to car sales or not, but I know that when you sell a house that you are legally obligated to give a full disclosure on known issues.
    Was this guy that sold you the car the one to actually do the work that concealed the problem? Or, is there a chance that when he purchased the car that this O-ring already in place.
    If he sold you this car being fully aware of the issues then I would think that you could sue him for fraud.

Definition of FRAUD...
    1)Intentional deception resulting in injury to another person
    2)A person who makes deceitful pretenses
    something intended to deceive; deliberate trickery intended to gain an advantage
    3)An act of willful deception and dishonesty carried out with a view to securing some advantage, profit, etc., to which one is not entitled, at the expense of another.
    4)Any deception, lie, or dishonest statement make with the intent to cheat someone.

As someone had said earlier in this post, I do believe that the Lemon Law protects consumers from New Car purchases. Unfortunately, I think that when it comes to buying a used car that it is more like "Buyer beware". But, thats not to say that you cant approach this legally through small claims court. You would just have to be able to prove beyond a doubt that this guy that sold you this car was aware of this problem, or be able to prove that he was the one to actually perform the work to cover up the problem.
    Good luck to you... I hope that you can recover your loss.
    Marcia

10. The lemon law applys to ALL cars. You have like 48 or 72 hour before you can do nothing about it. Even if you buy it "as is" ( unless you bought it knowing about the problem before purchase) you still are covered by the lemon law. But like I said, it only last for 48-72 hours and after that, you are just stuck with what you bought. They made the lemon law because dealers use to put saw dust in the engine to get it to run smooth for a few days and then it would screw up. Like I said before I don't know the law that well. But I do know that even used cars are covered because my girls dad had the same issue years ago with a used car and he got his money back because of the lemon law.

11. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Man Jack, that stinks. Steven isnt having luck at all. I know this if I was the buyer & I saw a giy the size of Steven plus you coming, I would have the $2000 in my hand, ready to count it back to you. Shoot me an Email at work. I have to know mor eabout this.

13. flathunter

Paid the guy a visit today. things got a little hairy at his place of employment..However I let him know in very specific words what was gonna happen if he did not make this right. And no I did not threaten him with bodily harm..I left with 800 bucks, which is enough to get the car fixed!!!!!

14. H2O Mellon

Ha! I love it! Did you bring your bodyguard, Steven w/ ya?

15. Glad it worked out for you but that really sucks you had to go through that just to get what you were supposed to have to begin with.

16. flathunter

Oh yes Steven was with me..The same Steven who is 6ft 4 inches tall..320-lbs arms bigger than my leg, and bench presses 450-lbs.

17. I think I would have given you all the money back and told you to keep the car if a guy like that was coming after me! I see why you didnt have to threaten him with bodily harm, all your boy had to do was give him an evil look!

18. H2O Mellon

#'s cant really express it. I will tell a story, one that even Jack or Steven doesnt know.

The 1st time I drove to fish w/ Jack was 2+ years ago, probally more like 3 years ago. Jack back then was bigger than he is now, Steven was probally the same size but younger, I get out and think "Man, I'm 5'9 300 lbs" & if something goes wrong these guys are gonna beat to living crap out of me. I took my chances & come to find out there both good guys! I will admit though the 1st time out sort of had me thinking..... :)

I usually bring my gun w/ me when I'm fishing (CCW) but I feel better by leaving the gun @ home when Jack brings Steven along!!!!

19. Banker

Banker Banned

glad it worked out and you didn't need to resort to my suggestion. I've seen pics of your son Steven and would not want to get in a scuffle with him(450 lbs on the bench press is very impressive). Flathunter, I also checked out your webpage and really liked it. I especially liked your rod holders.....custom stuff rules....I've tried 2 difn't store bought ones and they are an absolute joke.....especially the bright orange plastic one wally world sells....seems like company's don't try out their products to see if they actually work before they put them on the market....I'd be seriously interested in shelling out some dough to get a couple of those....I don't know any welders or metal workers....