Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought my buddy's new (used) boat back from a dealership in PA. and we're having trouble getting straight answers on how to get the trailer registered in Ohio. We've been told that we need a "weight slip", that we don't need one if the trailer is under 4000lb, that we need a title, that we don't need a title, etc., etc.. We've been told that we had to get the boat off the trailer and get the trailer weighed, while at least one person at DMV implied that we could just take the whole rig to a "junk yard" and come away with a weight slip ("wink, wink, nudge, nudge"). I've read throiugh the DMV website on trailers, but am still confused.
So I thought I'd ask the people who would know from experience - what's the story?
Appreciate any words of wisdom.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I unloaded my boat at a local lake and took it to a gravel company and they weighed it for me, it was 800 lbs and took the weight slip to dmv to get tags for it. No title needed.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you don't have a title, you need a bill of sale. And if you don't have an old registration for the trailer stating the weight, you need a weigh slip.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
No bill of sale needed, just a weight slip. Done it many times. Find a scrapyard or grain mill and they can usually do it for you.

Non-Commercial Trailer
  • Maximum weight is less than 10,000 lbs.
  • Title is not issued on trailers that weigh less than 4,000 lbs.
  • Ohio driver license or state ID
  • Proof of weight: Official Weight Slip (form BMV 5721), or Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO) / Statement of Origin (MSO), or if using previous owner’s Ohio registration, complete a notarized Affidavit of Original Weight (form BMV 5728) available at any local deputy registrar license agency

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the good info folks! I know we got a rig weighed in the distant past, but I don't know the curent procedure. Do these places with scales have the weight slips - or do we take a blank with us (maybe downloaded?) Do they charge for the service? And.. can you move the trailer around without a plate until you get an Ohio plate?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Thanks for the good info folks! I know we got a rig weighed in the distant past, but I don't know the curent procedure. Do these places with scales have the weight slips - or do we take a blank with us (maybe downloaded?) Do they charge for the service? And.. can you move the trailer around without a plate until you get an Ohio plate?
Any certified weigh station will have a certified slip most cost about three bucks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice, everyone. We got it done on Thursday with almost no problem.
For the benefit of those in my area (west side of Cleveland): Launched the boat at Sheffield, tied up inside the breakwall, buddy stayed with it while I took the trailer to the Pilot truck plaza at 90 and 611 (10 min. drive), super fast service on their CAT Scale ($12.00), back to Sheffield in about 35 min. total.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,146 Posts
YA,,,,, Glad you got 'er done,,,,, but $12,,, OUCH!

USUALLY,,,, they want ONE BEER for the trouble,,, not a whole 12 pack! ;>)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts