close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

USA returns to space!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Warpath, Jul 26, 2005.

1. I just finished watching Shuttle Discovery launch into outer space. What a relief and thrill at the same time. I remember seeing the first shuttle take-off while I was in middle school. I was nervous watching the launch but I was relieved to see the final tank jettisoned.

May the astronauts return to Earth safely!

Eric

2. What a beautiful site to see! I'd like to see one live once! I watched the wecast on Foxnews. I have goose bumps. Very proud day for the USA!

3. I guess I should feel special then. I got to see one live once years ago. Back in the early 90's in Florida.

4. You just know what I want to say,but I'll let it slide.

5. Its good to see NASA's manned missions up and running again, but don't you think those guys out at Scaled Composites/Virgin Galactic are going to surpass the publicly supported space programs within a decade or two?

6. I remember watching the Apollo launches and I still get the same thrill out of watching the shuttle launches. How about some of those new cameras!!

7. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

Man when you said you rember your first launch I had a flashback of mine. I was in elementery school and we were watching the challanger launch.

It was like a scene from a bad Satuday night live skit. It went up, crashed and kids started crying and my teachers were gasping trying to decide whether or not to turn the tv off. I just rember thinking wow is this real. It was a big deal because we had space month at our school and it was all to build up to the challenger launch, which everyone in my school was watching.

What a bummer, really feel for those guys. Chance you have to take if you want to head out to space I guess...

8. I think its great but I can think of a lot better things to spend that 1 billion dollars on

9. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I am with ya there die4irish!

But hey what about all the what ifs?

I can't wait till they come into contact with some other life form and admit to it.....That will be when it is worth going into space!

10. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Dennis Miller once said "Astronauts: Men and women so brave they make Sir Edmund Hillary look like Scooby Doo!"
    I could not agree more. I was a junior in HS when the Challenger blew up. We were watching it on tv in class and everyone was thinking is this real? I have only felt like that one other time watching television. When the second jet hit the world trade center on 9-11.

11. Paul Anderson

Paul Anderson Logan's Dad

My thoughts and prayers are with them.

12. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

You haven't seen power yet! Wait until you see them go to the moon again if they do. It takes a lot bigger rocket with a lot more power to get out of earth orbit. I reported off work the night they landed on the moon the first time. I was working 10 at night until 6 in the morning at the time. That was really dramatic watching them land. It was an engineering marvel but all it really did for us was give us bragging rights over Russia. Right now we don't have a rocket capable of leaving earth orbit. Bush wants us to go to the moon and Mars so he'd better have Nasa get on the stick and build some new rockets but he'll probably have to raise our taxes or cut out some neede domestic programs to do it. Personally I think it's a waste of time and cash.

13. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Anyone else notice that NASA has grounded the shuttle program, after that piece of debris came off during liftoff?