close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Urban Alum Creek Report: Mushijobah Edition

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mushijobah, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

My buddy John (JBBobcat I think?) and I headed out to a few of my urban Alum spots today. Our original plan was foiled by a bus full of hippies on the Sunbury Rd. (that's a tip) bridge, disableing our wade. There were cops (rollers, patty wagons, and a chopper) everywhere, and a few were being arrested. Did anyone see anything about this on the news? Apparently they had the road blocked off or something. And people growing up in the 60's think young people today are crazy...SHEESH!

Anyways, we hit up two roller dams. At the first one we managed a good amount of white crappie, smallies and a tiny largemouth. Nothing was huge, 10" max. We went to the second dam and found the same thing. I got one decent (chunky) smallmouth from there. He was no longer than 12", but beautiful at that.

[​IMG]

We decided to move downstream to a spot that contained muskie consistently due to its long, entrenched and rocky channel characteristic. This information came from a very reliable source. We first casted in some really smallie-esque looking eddies and only managed a couple tiny fish. We then headed upstream to the deep spot. Nothing was really happening with twisters, so I decided to change to a jerk bait for some deep water eye action, or possibly an esox. As we joked and wished how sweet a follow from the elusive esox would be, it occured. A juvenile (probably 24" or more) proceeded to follow my jerk bait in a few times. He then hung around at our feet (in 4 ft. water) and chased our lures everytime they passed. He wouldn't hit though! Needless to say, we began casting feverishly when he finally disapeared.

John then hooked into the first eye. A mid-day eye blitz had begun. Due to the water clarity, I could see them chasing my jerk bait, and whacking it as I paused it. Much to my surprise, not many got hooked. I finally hooked one, and it fell off on the shore. The second one was not so lucky. he was 15". John proceeded to catch two 10" ers. They disapeared and we moved.

We headed to one of my favorite spots about a mile downstream. John caught a keeper at 15", and I got a cigar. We called it quits. Here are some other pictures. The two bigger eyes were the keepers, the two smaller Sauger were hooked bad, so we kept.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. nice. we'll have to hit up that stretch soon. I thought more eyes would be washed down in those areas do to all the rain.. But nothing but dinks. Good to see you got some keepers. nice fish and report

3. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

For sure. The thing to look for on USGS is not the spiked stream flows over a continuum, but a sustained, increased flow. Those sustained and stable flows show that the lake upstream is discharging water...and toothy critters!

4. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

5. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

None. Notice what happened on July 5. That is what you have to look for! Being July 9, it is primetime. I don't go off that node either, I use the Columbus Ohio Alum Creek node. It is a better (almost exact) representation of the stream where I fish.

6. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I knew you would point to last week. :p