·
I'd Rather be fishing!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The water is so low and clear...1st stop
lots of chubs chasing and trout sighted w/ no takers
2nd stop one small chub. 3ed stop a fly fisherman occupied

Last stop some blue gills were chasing and got one
then some LM bass came along but not going for it...one nice gill w/ a bite mark on it's back was beaten to my Blue Fox by a smaller.
so I tried to cast it...and see what happens?

Fish Vertebrate Fish Bass Ray-finned fish

Don't know what happened to the gill...not in the throat?

OK switch to crank and 1st cast a 8"lm ok

then 3 cast later Big Daddy jumps in!
What a fight this 16 incher had in him

Fish Fish Bass Perch Trout

3 gills 3 LM

and the spot turned off after that fight

Attachments

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Pretty good on the upper Mad River ! Always predawn trout fished...the mouth of King`s Creek in central Champaign Co. DARN that water was always cool/ COLD !

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Nice catch!

I am not an expert on the fish ID but I am thinking that those may be spotted bass rather than LMB. Someone else may have a better idea but the markings and the mouth size appear to suggest it to me. Regardless, still a nice catch. Just thought maybe you would like to know if it was indeed a spotted bass.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Im pretty sure those are just very clean water makings on a LM Bass as there is one particular area that holds a bunch of overflow LM bass and when you catch them they are some of the prettiest LM I have ever seen. I one day took twin 16" ers on 2 consecutive cast in that area. Great fight on the 3 wt!

Nice fish btw!

Salmonid

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
I know some of the flows have large numbers of spotted bass from what I have been told. That is what led me to suspect that. It would not be the first time I was wrong...if indeed I am.:p

·
Just keep casting ...
170 Posts
I once asked a question on here about the upper Mad fish species. Most people told me it was far too cold for bass to spawn and stay ... anywhere above the Air Force base. This post seems to challenge that theory, any ideas?

·
I'd Rather be fishing!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey BigRed :D
Brown Trout above Urbana and some chubs w/ a rainbow or 2 mixed in.
I got the LM in an area just below a private area (lake)
maybe the spring floods washed them out? The pool there is deep n cold
and gets pressure so close to the bridge
Got a LM from there last year in June after a rain
so add them n Gills to the species list

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Went to upper mad yesterday with the neighbor to try for trout or whatever we could find. Hit 6 different areas and only 6 creek chubs. We didnt see hardly any fish in the clear water. we did see a couple decent sized browns, but no takers and we came across a school of carp. For some reason i dont think im diggin the upper mad, seems a little easier to catch a variety of species in the upper gmr. Ill give it one more shot and see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts