close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Upper Grand river fish tale

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Ivan, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Ivan

Ivan Cigar a-fish-ianado

I went down to the river this morning and started casting a small silver Little Cleo with no luck and then tried an orange/silver one and again no luck. About 9:30 I decided on a larger (1/3 oz.) blue/silver Little Cleo and on the first cast something hit it like a freight train and immediately begin stripping the 10 lb test line off of my reel. After 3 big half body leaps and another run my line was either broken or the fish bit through it and I lost it. Upon further review whatever it was abraided the line 6-8 inches above the swivel.

Since I didn't get a good look at it I can only surmise that it was either a Muskie or a Gar (a little too early for Steelies that far up). I guess it's time to start using a steel leader when I'm fishing for my beloved bass.

Wednesday can't come soon enough...

2. I just hate those "long line releases"...
    Sounds like a toothy fish to me...

3. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

There are muskie up there. Upstream from Hogback, downstream from County Line Rd. Also around Indian Point. I'm told they're above Harpersfield Dam too, but I've never tried.

4. I am not sure how you were able to determine that it was 6 or 8 inches up from the swivel that it was abraded if the line broke at the spot? I guess the reason I am mentioning that is that perhaps the fish took you down across a sharp rock or something sharp in the water and cut you off. Whatever it was it sounds like one heck of a fish to strip your 10# line like that. Too bad you did not get a longer fight with him to know what he was.

5. The Steelhead are that far up the river (though sparse as of yet). That is the perfect spoon to get a steelie to slam. It will peel off line like you can't believe. They love to find something on which to break off too. Tight Lines

6. Ivan

Ivan Cigar a-fish-ianado

The 6-8 inches is a guess-timate based on the amount of line that was left hanging in the water and it's very possible the abrasions were caused by a sharp object.

After I get off work this AM I'm going to hit the hay for a few hours and then see what kind of trouble I can get into. :D